Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1

Purchased my first non-non-disposable (:?)camera night before last. This shot was taken yesterday. Not sure what I'm doing, but I do know I seem to spend more time on the 'creative' side of the dial. Anyways, a storm moved in and left, and this is what it left for a brief period. I run dual monitors, on one it looks good, the other....well not so. I used the Digital Photo Professional to convert it to quality of 5. Then used image shack to change it to 640x480. This sound right to do? This picture and one other is in the landscape portion of these forums. Hoping to get some "do's and do not do's" from you guys, and maybe some ideas on how to spruce this up with Photoshop. Thx all.

John

airtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:23 PM   #2

Keoeeit wrote:
Quote:
Unless you were shooting for the urban look, I would have tried to find a view of the sunset devoid of the power-lines and utility poles, and even the rooftops. If that's what you intended (to shoot the sunset and not the man-made things), then you could CAREFULLY use the clone-brush in any decent editor to eradicate the phone/power-lines. And if you are good, you can even get rid of the utility poles too.

There are thousands of tutorials online about using a clone-brush, but it's pretty simple. Sample a nearby area (your source) that has the same values and textures as you are trying to replace, then follow along the power/phone-line with the brush to erase/over-write it with those "source" values. In the case of power-lines you only need a brush size a few pixels wider than the width of the line (use a soft-edged brush for smoother blending), then just follow the power-line with the brush (provided of course that the "source" you sampled/set was a very short distance from the power-line, so the values match closely).

You should crop-out that left edge too where it appears you caught the corner of some nearby building. You might want to use a perspective filter to adjust for that "key-stoning" effect to get all vertical lines vertical. Use the 2 utility poles (or the large pole and nearby building along the left-edge) for your base references for that, before you get rid of them with the clone-brush.
Thx for the input. I was peeking out my door on the backporch while it was still raining. I understand what you mean about the wires. I'm hoping to get some advice on the image itself more than the objects in it....like focus, camera settings things like that to help for when I do happen to attempt these types of shots with a goal of overall quality. It's all a training thing at the moment.

I'll mess with the wires and the left edge you mentioned.

Thx.

John
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:58 PM   #3

Updated some:

Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:38 AM   #4

John, I agree with Keoeeit that it would be better without the phone poles. But I like the houses sincethey give it some context. It would be nice to see what it looked like with only the trees, but I don't think the houses are bad.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:48 PM   #5

Update. There are still alot of flaws, but I think overall it turned out pretty nice...this being my first photo and first photoshop experience. I wouldn't mind framing it up, because it is the first. Think there is too much black at the bottom to look decent in a frame? If I do frame it up, I'll have the original in the same frame as well.

Thx

John