Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:24 PM   #1

Thought I would play around with HDR today. Please ignore the watermarks, i've not decided whether to take the plunge with the photomatix software as yet or just try and use CS2 (I need to get better and then some on histogram curves). I am quite pleased with the potential and how images of quite ordinary things become much more interesting!

#2 BW

markgelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:15 PM   #2

I like the third one best. Looks like you had a little breeze in the first pic and had registration problems with some of the foliage. That's something I don't like about doing HDR.

Have you seen this tutorial? http://www.naturescapes.net/072006/rh0706_1.htm
It details the whole HDR process using both Photomatix Pro and PS CS2.

The only thing I don't like about Photomatix is the price. I found that I could get pretty similar results doing manual blending with PS7. Now, if I were doing a lot of HDR, it would be worth it to get Photomatix since it took me 15x longer doing it manually. But check out that link. It does a head-to-head with Photomatix and CS2.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:38 AM   #3

The bottom two I extrpolated from one RAW image and, as my camera does not bracket, it seems to work better. However on a large landscape I would take the actual images because I think the effect is more dramatic.

Photomatix is very pricey for what is a 4mb program, but then again so is CS2 (which I already have) but I struggle to get the same results out of it. Practice, practice, practice I guess. Thanks for that link, I've seen it about but will pay it more heed now.

Have you got examples that have turned out well for you?

M
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:05 AM   #4

markgelder writes: Have you got examples that have turned out well for you?

Indeed, m' man! Butt-loads, in fact.

I'll grab a few handy ones after a bit.

It's surprizing that your camera can shoot RAW but doesn't offer bracketing. I've used bracketing at times, but the majority of my HDR-destined pix were shot using the exposure compensation dial. I set up on a tripod and usually take three shots -- one at "0" EV, one at +2 and one at -2 EV. This works pretty well for manual blending in PS7 and worked well with Photomatix, too. There have been times when I shot five exposures at one stop intervals, but usually it didn't seem to offer much advantage over the shorter two stop method.

While Photomatix almost encourages you to shoot your pix a couple stops apart, the Merge To HDR function in CS2 wants more shots at a max of one stop apart to avoid posterization effects.

As previously advertised, here are the handy examples:

Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:09 AM   #5

And yet another!

This one's not very "arty" but it was more of a practise scene due to the extreme contrasts.

Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:12 AM   #6

One more from the same series:

Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:13 AM   #7

The top and bottom ones look the best overall. But on the middle one you can see the details that have been 'rescued' by using HDR. Thanks for the reply, it is inspiring!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:55 AM   #8

mark

cs2 as a merge to hdr feature no need to buy extra things

file/automate/merge to hdr

u can make em all out of one image if u wanna cheat, just make a few images with different adjustemnts, save em then use merge to hdr. not quiet as good as doing it properly but itll work.

thats why photoshop rules the roost it so do darn much its untrue

where ya from mate by the way, looks like england to me, n looks like style of houses round my area.

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:05 PM   #9

Aren't the images supposed to get aligned when being merged in PS if they were shot handheld? I have not been lucky in getting that done properly. They all overlap.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote