Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:46 AM   #1

I am a new digital camera user and took some pics over the weekend without using the lens hood. Could someone tell me if/how i can get rid of the lens flare in Photoshop CS2?
Attached Images

cgm4967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:37 PM   #2

Normally this kind of post would go into the Extreme Makeovers section. Here's the answer to your question though;

It's not easy. There is no shortcut for this kind of correction.

First of all, did you shoot this in RAW? If so, you will have a much easier time as much more of the original color will remain intact. If not, then it might not be possible to remove the flare without leaving a very unnatural looking image.

If you shot RAW, what you need to do is go in and adjust the white balance for the green flare and load that into Photoshop. Then do it again for the blue. Then make a higher contrast image for the white flare. Then you need to stack them on top of each other and blend the accurate portions onto the original using the layer mask.

If you shot JPG, you can try to do something similar using adjustment layers. Make an adjustment to correct the green area and mask it in. Then one for the blue and one for the white.

Either way, you will end up with separation lines between the different adjustments and will then have to clone in detail to cover it up. It will probably take a number of other adjustments to smooth over the area and make it look more natural, but like I said, if this was shot JPG, it might not be possible to recover enough of the original detail. in which case you might as well just try painting the horse in with a paintbrush.

If you want some help, you can post the image somewhere where it can be downloaded and some of the people here can take a crack at it. Post the original if possible, but if not, be sure to compress the image as little as possible. You might even want to just do a 100% crop of the corner that has the problem so that when fixed, you can just drop it onto your original.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:36 PM   #3

Thanks....sorry about posting in the wrong place and yes it was shot RAW. I do not think that my Photoshop skills are uop to this one but I will give it a go. Where would you suggest that I upload it to so that someone else can take a crack atit as well? Should I just crop and send that or send the entire image?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:36 AM   #4

I'd suggest you post the RAW to get the best possible results. You can't really crop a RAW file, you just have to post it as is.

You can download a tool from Adobe that can convert most RAW formats into DNG files and they tend to be quite small (my 6 megapixel PEF files become 5MB DNGs), but if you don't want to go through the trouble then just zip it.

There are a lot of sites available that can host large files for free. I don't have one in particular that I'd recommend, but you could try sharebig.com. Just realize that I don't know much about these individual sites and can't say how secure your file will be there, so use your own discretion. If you zip it, you could also password protect it and share the password here if you like.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:57 AM   #5

here's a quick n dirty fix
Attached Images

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:59 AM   #6

That is awesome! How did you do it!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:17 PM   #7

just some c&p with some blending...you lose the horses detail but hey...
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 12:46 PM   #8

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
just some c&p with some blending...you lose the horses detail but hey...
That's a horse of a different color......:|
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote