Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1

I'm working on a website for a local club and I am curious as to how would you go about improving something like the attached?

I took various photos with various settings, mainly P mode on the camera and changed the ISO from 100->1600 to see what the best results I would get.

The attched image settings are:
Focal Length: 18mm
FStop: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 1/4sec
ISO: 1600 (you can see the graininess

I am curious as to what I should look for when I am taking shots similar to this one (I will be going back this weekend to take some more).

I know the image isn't quite centered well either Ijust chose this one to show because it shows the lightning (which depending on what I shot changed colors).

Most of the shots I took seemed to turn out ok, but I am always looking for ways to improve!

Attached Images

Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:24 PM   #2

If all your photos are going to be of an empty room, you should use a tripod and take longer exposures at lower ISO settings.

Shooting RAW is definitely handy. It makes noise reduction easier and is useful if you need to correct the white balance.

I occasionally shoot my brother performing at local bars and have to use fast primes to shoot him. One trick I use is instead of shooting at ISO 1600 when the situation calls for it, I'll shoot at ISO 800 with exposure compensation set to -1. Then I can take the RAW into ACR and boost the light levels without clipping as much of the highlights. You didn't have any blown out areas in your photo, but it's something I do when I want to capture a wider dynamic range (stage lighting can be pretty nasty). It won't be quite as effective if you shoot JPG though.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:10 PM   #3

Gimli wrote:
Quote:
I'm working on a website for a local club and I am curious as to how would you go about improving something like the attached?

I am curious as to what I should look for when I am taking shots similar to this one (I will be going back this weekend to take some more).
Well.... you could always wait until those brass poles are occupied.:G:cart: But I would also suggest a low ISO and tripod. You could also try HDR shots. Good luck.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:16 PM   #4

nothing to do with the quality of your shot, but I love the prominence of the TVs. I think it's hilarious that people would go to a strip club and pay attention to the game!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:28 AM   #5

Ask Gerafix ,He has a very wacky sense.Fits to your kind of project.He is at "close up forum "now
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

It was taken with a tripod the bar wasn't completely empty but those who where there didn't want their picture taken I guess I should either use a timed shutter release or make up a little release cable for it.

I'll go back and trythe suggestion of a lower ISO and then use change the exposure compensation.

I doubt they would let me take pictures with people on the poles They get really angry when people take pictures with their cellphones!

Though its nice to have friends in the industry, so who knows
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 4:23 PM   #7

The comments just got me thinkin'...a club with hot gals and so forth, and no one in it. It can't be a good advertising shot. Conversely, ppl don't like having their shots taken. But I prefer the latter...maybe try long exposure with the bustling action (choose a focal point tho); a shot from the corner instead of dead-on my prove interesting also.

...and some close-ups. If there's a good story behind your shots (showing em off at steve's) then it'll do
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote