Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:23 PM   #1

Hi there. Please take a look at the pic below. I also sent it for pic of the day, but didn't get any response on it. I'd like you all to take out a min and criticise, as why did it not make to the "Pic of the day"? BTW, i was pretty sure that it would [sarcacsm]
Attached Images

adnanbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:58 PM   #2

I'm not trying to be mean or overly harsh, but simply put, the image is orange, blurry, and poorly composed.

Shots taken under street lights will tend to be orange, but there are ways of offsetting that to look more natural. This level of orange is far too excessive, and with the wet and out of focus street in the foreground, it has an almost nauseating look to it.

The image is very soft. It's hard to tell if this is because of focus, too much compression, or just the limits of the camera, but it doesn't look sharp.

Finally, and most importantly, the composition isn't very interesting. There's so much of the street in the shot which contains very little detail and is so out of focus that it almost looks like the camera snapped a photo after being dropped. If the car is supposed to be the point of interest, it just isn't very obvious. It almost looks like you may have been trying to shoot the trash laying in the street.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean, and perhaps I may have missed the point of the photo. I realize you were trying something experimental and things rarely work out the way you hope they will when trying something new.

I took a quick stab in Photoshop at correcting the white balance and cropping for a more interesting composition, but there are limits to what can be accomplished with a compressed JPG.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 7:03 PM   #3

I think Corpsy covered it all.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:53 AM   #4

i think this is a great effort as you have gone to a lot of trouble to get the shot, esp with the way the weather was looking - wet!

i would suggest you try looking at your camera - check the white balance (looks like you have used a daylight setting BUT shooting under tungsten?) and try bracketing a few shots (with different exposures). you seem caught between exposures to show the movement of the car (but not enough maybe) - yet overexposed. have a play around with the settings on the camera.
dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:20 PM   #5

thankyou very much for the criticism. i posted the pic here for comments and your comments are invaluable. also, the sample pic you posted was a great help. it gives me a broad idea as to what more could be done.

about the pic, the weather was wet that day, and i did not have a tripod, as this was not a planned pic. placed the camera over a pack of cigarettes, and took some shots...

The white balance thing is a good idea. I'll try different settings as well. Hope to hear more ideas from you.

Anyone else has any examples? night shots with long exposures...
adnanbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:23 PM   #6

adnanbh wrote:
Quote:
placed the camera over a pack of cigarettes, and took some shots...
Well, that certainly would be a less than ideal setup. Without a tripod, you do kind of need to let the camera lay flat in order to get a longer exposure.

The best thing to do in this kind of lighting situation is to shoot RAW if the camera allows for it. It does a much better job of retaining color information and you can correct any degree of bad white balance. On my Pentax K100D, I often need to rely on that factor exclusively as there are some situations where even manual white balance doesn't work.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:27 AM   #7

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:42 AM   #8

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote