Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1

Desperately seeking opinions of others on this shot. Likes/dislikes are equally welcome!!!
Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2

Well, as long as you're desperate.

As far as what I like, it's a cute picture that looks very natural. She doesn't look like she's posing and I like the expression. The lighting on her face is pretty good too.

I do have some appreciation for black and white, but can't help but think I would like this one more in color. If I was determined to go with black and white though, I think I'd work on a couple details. Except for her face, the image overall seems rather dark and flat. I would probably try separating her from the background more by brightening up the background and blurring it more. Also, perhaps her coat doesn't need to be quite so dark. A tighter crop might help as well (just crop those two buttons away, I don't know why but they distract me).

I hope I don't sound overly critical, each criticism is very minor compared to the positives. The most important thing is that your subject looks good in the photo and that part was well accomplished.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3

thanks a lot, corpsy! I never thought of lightening the background, that's a really good idea!! I struggled with the darkness of her coat and wondered what to do about it.

As for the colour issue, i went black & white because, as she puts it, her complexion is "sallow". I wouldn't be that harsh, but she doesn't have very much colour in her face, and what you see in this pic is actually pretty close to reality, hahaha!

I really appreciate any and all criticism, no matter how positive/negative or major/minor. Getting input from other photographers is necessary if i am going to train my eye!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:39 AM   #4

i like the photo for its informal relaxed look. you have managed to get some detail in the dark parts and retain the highlights under control as well.

however, for me the picture seems to be a bit of a paradox. the way the lady is dressed and the trees look, it seems like it should be really cold out there. but somehow, she looks comfortable, even summery. you have captured the mood of the lady, but not the environment or maybe what she is doing, if that makes any sense?!

dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:47 AM   #5

Dr.Mr.Vendertramps.It is a very interesting picture.It caught my attention immediately . As far as critique is concerned ,I think what Corpsy says I agree to his opinion,It may enhance the picture.Otherwise It is a lovely shot.Well done
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:01 AM   #6

I'm not a protrait photographer, but here's my 2 cents:
The lighting on the left side of the face seems a little bright. If you had used a reflector on the right, you could have evened out the light on the face somewhat. That would reduce the brightness on the left while maintaining a slight shadow on the right.
At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.... :blah:
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:53 AM   #7

Thanks everybody! a lot to think about here. Surfnron, I have been thinking of reflectors for some time now. should a sheet of white posterboard work?

dumfriesdick, really interesting observation on her relationship to the environment. We've still got a wee bit of snow on the ground here and the trees have yet to sprout any leaves, so when we went on the walk she wore her winter coat, even though it was around 7 degrees celsius!

I am indebted to all of you for your input, thank you so much!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:44 PM   #8

BEACH WEATHER!

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps wrote:
Quote:
even though it was around 7 degrees celsius!
dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:37 PM   #9

I think its a very nice portrait, as was said if you used a reflector on the girlsleft side it would have made a big difference, or a small burst of flash. its quite easy to fetch the highlights back without burning out the right side of her face thoe.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:07 PM   #10

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps, i'm a hobbyist newbie, and am trying tofeel what photographers feel when they look at photos.

Mind postingthe same in color? just to see the difference in B/W and Color...

Thanks.
adnanbh is offline   Reply With Quote