Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:52 AM   #1

Hi
I finaly setup mini studio. One main flash, one side flash and one back flash, all with manual control. Please see pic and comment it.
Thanks
Attached Images

emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:47 PM   #2

I know almost nothing about portraits but I do know that the pupils shouldn't be extremely dilated like they are in the test shot.
Gerafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:11 PM   #3

Yeah, that never works......

Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:40 PM   #4

Emes, I think you need to adjust the lighting a bit since it all seems the same from each direction. It is a great expression and a very sharp picture, but one side needs to have a little more shadow, IMHO.

Kalypso, I think the same thing with yours. There are a lot of things to like about the photo, her eyesbeing absolutelygorgeous, and maybe that effect would be lost with some shadow on one side, but I would like to see you try it.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Emes, I think you need to adjust the lighting a bit since it all seems the same from each direction. It is a great expression and a very sharp picture, but one side needs to have a little more shadow, IMHO.

Kalypso, I think the same thing with yours. There are a lot of things to like about the photo, her eyesbeing absolutelygorgeous, and maybe that effect would be lost with some shadow on one side, but I would like to see you try it.

Glenn
Good obvsevation.....but I was trying for a "high-key" shot (& if that were true, how do you explain the shadows from her hair on her face)? On another note...shadows are your friend:

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:24 AM   #6

As a portrait shots, I liked the last 2 images.Personally speaking , I also like to have some shadows in image as it gives me 3rd dimesionality in image,But that is the matter of presonal preferances.
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 6:35 AM   #7

Kalypso, Sorry I didn't explain myself well. Its not the shawdows, but the amount of light coming from the sides of the model I was talking about. In Emes' picture the light is the same from all directions and were he to take a normal portrait I would think that would flatten out the subject. In his close-up it seems to work out well, but if the subject were back more it might take away some of the depth necessary to make a pleasing portrait. With your picture the eyes are so well done, by both you and the model, that the feeling of depth is probably not necessary. But I would still like to see how it would look. It might ruin it in this case, because the picture has so much going for it as is.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:09 PM   #8

emes. As you can see in the other pics, there are "catchlights" in the eyes. This is just a reflection of the lightsource.

This reflection is thought to give the eyes "life". When I look at your pic I can see a shadow under the nose, this is what happens when you have the light too high. Try bringing the light down more or raise the chin.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:15 AM   #9

Thanks everyone. Start is really complicated.
emes is offline   Reply With Quote