Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:14 PM   #1

please tell me what i could do or could have done to make this better.

i know you are supposed to get the front of the subject, but as you see,

he/she was about to jump in the water! hahahahahaha

thank you in advance! john
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:46 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hey John, I like the result you have here and the Goose was being very kind to you by posing so nicely.

I would have gone for lower ISO as there is a little noise and you didn't need a shutter speed of 1/1250 so ISO 200 would have just about done the trick if you are when using that length lens. With the f4.5 and 150mm the dof being reduced is nice meaning the water is not overly distracting while still knowing what is going on so it makesa good background to this shot.

The shot is unfortunately under exposed which is due to the metering mode, you have a difficult subject here as the water is light so the camera was trying to get a good average metering, downside being your subject is under exposed. This comes down to experience when shooting in situations like this so personally I would have gone for a centre weighted metering (if you have it) or centre metering if you don't (the latter would probably have needed some exposure compensation but we can go into that more later and the reasons why).

Lastly I would go for a different crop, either tight in portrait or a variation on the landscape following the rule of thirds. I have done 2 edits where I have played with exposure, and adjusted the crops to show the 2 options. The bird was under exposed too much to get the detail back but it will give you the idea.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:39 AM   #3

Yeah got to agree with mark, other wise a nice shot, make a good dinner too.:G
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:03 AM   #4

thank you mark! i will work on that! i had just come from shooting some track and field stuff, and saw the geese and wanted to get some shots, of course these aren't the ones the try to run you over for bread! hahahaha these were moving away so i just put my camera in aperture mode and forgot to change the iso. the weather was nice but it kept changing from sunny to cloudy very quickly. i just wasn't thinking as i was trying to get some shots.

and alex they taste like chicken if you cook them correctly!! hahahahaha
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I've got so many silly shots when not changing settings from one subject to another.

I know it would not have made a difference in this case but I would suggest always putting your camera back to a standard setting at the end of the day so if you pick it up quickly then you have a reasonable chance to get something.

I leave my camera at ISO 200, Av f5.6, Single Shot Focus, Centre Focal Point, Evaluative Multi Point Metering, High Speed Continuous and I think that is about it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote