Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

View Poll Results: Which of the 2 shots work better
Shot 1 with fence in foreground 3 37.50%
Shot 2 with funny rock things in foreground 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:38 AM   #1

I want to shoot through some pics of NZ and i am not sure which of the following 2 to use. I really want to do some quick touch ups before the send and i would be interested to hear

So far i have just done a raw conversion using my fav new peice of software lightroom.

cheers
Ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:38 AM   #2

This is shot 2 with funny rock things
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2007, 7:26 AM   #3

Actually, I'm intrigued by the hill, and find the primary foreground elements in both shots to be distracting.

What's the story behind the hill. Surely, it's not a natural formation.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:39 AM   #4

I think they are quite good shots ken, you have the fence leading you in to the background, the only thing Iwould do is to darken the sky.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 4:13 PM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I'm intrigued by the hill, and find the primary foreground elements in both shots to be distracting.

What's the story behind the hill. Surely, it's not a natural formation.
thanks for your feedback. I didnt want to leave the foreground dead as it often renders it useless. i wanted to keep the aspect ratio 6x4 so felt there was a need to occupy it with something.

I do believe the hill is a natual formation here in nz. there used to be a tree uptop, hence the name 1tree hill but some crazy guy cut it down. we are waiting on our local councils to approve a new one.

cheers
Ken
Old Apr 28, 2007, 4:14 PM   #6

alex james wrote:
Quote:
I think they are quite good shots ken, you have the fence leading you in to the background, the only thing Iwould do is to darken the sky.
thanks buddy

the white sky is actually my fault. The cloud formation i thought looks a bit ugly so i used a gradient selection and increased highlight levels. I will give ita go with a more balance sky

cheers
Ken
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:38 PM   #7

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
I do believe the hill is a natual formation here in nz.
With the notches and ledges, it looks like it has had big chunks carved out of it, and the scars have become overgrown.

I think the hand of man has significantly altered it, if not created it from scratch.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:56 PM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
With the notches and ledges, it looks like it has had big chunks carved out of it, and the scars have become overgrown.

I think the hand of man has significantly altered it, if not created it from scratch.
It's a volcanic peak... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tre...2C_New_Zealand

As for the pics, i like the 2nd one of these 2 better, the fence posts are just too distracting in the 1st one.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:32 AM   #9

TCav wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:

Ofcourse the chunks are man made. The roads wouldnt be too safe leading to the top without it. There were multple routes which have been put to rest.

My history is very hazey on 1tree hill but i still believe this is not man made. It would be a pretty sour NZ icon if the hand of man crafted it. The entire country has hills and formations right through the south island and not so much in the north. but they are there.

We sit on a fault line so lots of volcanic formations. Another in auckland alone, which keep in mind is a very small portion of the north island which is the smaller island of the 2is motutapu, rangitoto, mt eden and the list goes on.

Im not sure if you have been to NZ before but we are not a very flat place. Especially in the south island.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:35 AM   #10

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:

It's a volcanic peak... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tre...2C_New_Zealand

As for the pics, i like the 2nd one of these 2 better, the fence posts are just too distracting in the 1st one.
Thanks for comments. The 2nd seems to be the better of the 2. Appreciate your input.

ken