Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:44 PM   #1

This is a picture taken with my Sony H-2 in auto mode. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chad
SwampDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Chad, I would take the lens cap off (or possibly attach the photo LOL). Also you might want to put it in the sports/action section so the experts on the subject look at it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:51 PM   #3

Hmm wonder what happened. It didn't show up... Sorry!

Old May 1, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4

Chad,

The question I would ask is: what were you trying to achieve with the shot? This is importantant because depending on your goal, the advice would differ.

In general, sports shots fall into several categories:

1. Atmosphere shots - great at big league parks - the idea is to show the atmosphere of the event - huge crowd, whatever. They're tough at games like yours because well, there is no real atmosphere at most.

2. Action shots - what you see in the sports page where the players fill the frame.

3. Sportraits - close up shots of players in the field or at the plate. Parents like them but they're generally not very interesting to other people unless they're of exceptional quality or something interesting about the person. Don't get me wrong - I take a lot of these, you're just not going to see this type of shot in the sports page.

4. Emotion shots - players, coaches, fans reacting.

In general, this shot is way too widely framed to fit into any of the last 3 categories - you can't see faces and thus no emotion and you can't really see any action (for the action shots, the action needs to fill the frame - so if you want to show the action of the pitcher the pitcher should pretty well fill the frame).

If the purpose of the shot was an atmosphere shot, I'm not sure the fence. pavillion & bridge which dominate the frame are compelling atmosphere subjects. Does that make any sense?

I hope you're not offended by me posting photos - but I do so only to illustrate the types of shots I'm talking about. I'm sure there are quality shots that don't fit easily into these categories but they're the general category of shots I tend to think of when I'm shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 12:22 AM   #5

Wow what a wonderful tips...I didn't know about it(Never been in sports activity though) . But it is nice to have "classify the action photography".Next time if I ever I take a pic.,I will remember these tip.Thanks JohnG for sharing the knowladge
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 3:32 PM   #6

JohnG thank you for your advices and for explaining them with your exelent photos

Andi 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:54 PM   #7

Yeah. Thanks John for all your tips. I will try them tommorrow at my daughters game. Thank again.

Chad
Old May 8, 2007, 1:34 PM   #8

Nice series
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote