Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 2, 2007, 7:47 PM   #1

Shot in my backyard, C & C Welcome
Attached Images

happy7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 4:34 PM   #2

Good job on the exposure.

Framing-wise, I would have preferred to photograph the bird looking more towards the center than out of the frame. However, it looks like that bird might have been close to the trunk, so that might not have been possible. If possible, I'd also try and make the DOF more shallow to really help the bird stand out from the background; as it seems you were far away (300mm focal length), this probably would not be possible. However, it's something that's always worth trying to do.

What kind of post-processing did you do with the image? I'm not sure if it's the lens you used, but the image seems to be a bit grainy, especially for ISO 100.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 6:41 PM   #3

Thanks Illuminati For the comment this is a 100% crop out of the actual photo. I used canon 30d with 70-300 DO IS USM @ 300mm and 5.6 apperture. Yes you are right te should be in the centre but the branches wre in the way and the bird was not very cooperative. Will try next time harder.
Old May 3, 2007, 7:43 PM   #4

When photographing birds, you often take what you can get. If your object is to record the presence or get an identification, you have all you need, as the subject is perfectly recognizable (it just won't win any contests).

Two things beyond your control hurt this picture besides the close crop on the rignt: Too broad a tonal range (overexposed on the sunny side, and underexposed on the shady one), and the lack of a highlight in the eye. Bright sunlight and high sun angles (at or near midday) are not always the most favorable of conditions. In a controlled situation a reflector or fill flash would even up the illumination and provide the highlight, but grab shots are just that - you take what you can get. A good Photoshopper might be able to make some of the necessary corrections and save the picture, which isn't really all that bad anyway.

Hope this helps
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 9:18 PM   #5

Thanks Penolta,

You are right it was around noon when i took this shot. Here is the original shot. I am very green at this new expensive hobby.

Attached Images

Old May 3, 2007, 10:59 PM   #6

Don't despair.You are off to a good start. It costs nothing to delete your mistakes while learning. You will find digital photograpgy is much less expensive in the long run than color film photography was with comparable equipment. And a lot more satisfying, since you can do so much more to edit your pictures if you so wish. You could even take out the trunk and branches in the background of this picture, if you desire, and replace them with clear sky. Other than the editing, the basic photographic techniques are not substantiallydifferent than they were with film. So keep at it and have fun!:-D
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 2:33 PM   #7

Good detail. I would have exposed it more just by a hair(of feather) to make the show parts have more detail.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote