Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 3, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1

Below is a collage I put together of my new one. I'm planning on printing at 16x20 and giving to my wife for mother's day. I'm trying to figure out the best place to get it printed. I've seen a lot of prints that should be black and white that come out a bluish green. Almost like they mixed the colors to get B/W instead of just using black. I'm really wanting to avoid that. Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could get this printed?

Also, Any critiques? I've played with the border a lot. I've tried square photos twice that size. I'm afraid that on a 16x20 they'd end up too big (2 inches by 2 inches). So, I changed to what you see here (which would be 1 inch by 1 inch).

hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Super Moderator

No idea on printing as I'm in the UK.

I really like what you have done here and the only thing I would suggest is toput the eyes on the 3rd line as this is the focal point as currently it does not feel asbalancedas it could.The thing I'm really impressedwithis theborder that you havecreated, I've not thought ofdoing thisbut might have to give it a try one day.

I hope the final print comes out as well as you hope.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 12:05 PM   #3

Thanks, Mark. I'd try to crop to put the eyes on the 3rd line, but that would require me to lose some of the image quality. I'm a little leery of getting a 16x20 to begin with. The inside picture will end up being about 14x17. It was taken with an 8 MP DSLR (olympus e-300). I took it at ISO 100, so the noise should be minimal. I'm still concerned that a 14x17 from an 8 MP camera is stretching it.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Should be fine, I personally work to a minimum of 150 dpi when at 15 x 10 and larger as long as you are using a good lab (I know you've not decided yet). Have a look at what Smugmug say http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-qualityI think you will find it interesting.

Also if you do want more res then some gentle interpolation will be fine as you should have a noise free shot and I find b/w is happier to be enlarged.

Here is a very quick 150% increase for you to get an idea. Dont forget a shot that size will be viewed from a distance.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote