Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:31 AM   #1

Seeing an area like this on a walk is perhaps more satisfying to the eyes than in a photograph. There is so much going on with this now nearly still stream having carried much rain water run-off the week before, creating a jumble of logs and branches. My question is are the photos pleasing or not? Perhaps too much stuff, too messy, too many reflections, or what is your opinion?

Anyone is welcome to post more "questionable" photos in this thread for opinions.
Attached Images

JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:33 AM   #2

the second shot
Attached Images

Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:25 AM   #3

I was also walking down to my local stream this weekend, only with my p/s though, i like this type of photo its clear clean and crisp, not too busy for me, thats how stream are with washed along logs etc. Some suggestions, try for more reflection if possible, the hints of blue look good try for more, perhaps with a filter. I'm not sure about the log across the top of the photo #2 it disturbs me, i might have cropped it out or shown more, (lower in the pic). Also, perhaps different elevations?
Attached Images

bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:28 AM   #4

this is furthr down stream with not so many logs, it was quite shaded for both of my shots.
Attached Images

Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:42 AM   #5

OK, I've already learned something! I'll take the monopod and the remote shutter release to that spot (it will have changed) and try some shots from a higher viewpoint, lifting the monopod. There isn't much other way to approach it. That should yield more reflections as well.

About the log across the top of one photo--showing more jumbled tree branches and adding distance subjects above it did not seem to work, so I made the decision to box in the top of the shot with that fallen tree. Care to walk under it? Does it look threatening or tell what has happened there?

Thanks for the comments and additional pictures. The first is similar to mine, but a bit more orderly.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6

If you are going to use the log have it framed a bit lower in the shot so the shot opens to the air and is not hemmed in by the log. Yes try it higher and see if you get more sky, also dappled sunlight give a pleasing effect on logs and grass (if possible). Also try lower shots and see what works and take a wider shot so the stream is just a focual point in the shot and not the whole shot. I must get myself on of those monosticks! But what do i know.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 2:04 PM   #7

JDar, I sometimes find myself in a similar situation as the one you've described... and I come home with photos that are so jumbled and busy looking I wonder just what it was that made me want to take a picture inthe first place! Not everything that attracts us to such places is visual, and thus cannot be captured by a lens.

As Bill has said, the scant blue reflections in the both photos are intriguing and teasing, and makes one wish for more blue sky to view. His idea of experimenting with different elevations is a good one.

I like the tree across the top in #2. It does sorta make the photo look unbalanced, but, as you have said, it poses questions, and I like that.

Bill, I thought both of the photos you posted were far too contrasty, at least for my tastes. Definitely rougher lighting conditions for you to grapple with than JDar's. I would have gone for some negative EV to preserve the highlights, and attempted to boost/repair the shadow areas during post-processing. Perhaps, if there is a next time at this location, you could also use a slower shutter (1/20s) to give the falling water a silkier look - of course the wind has to be agreeable to this!

I do like the composition of your 1st shot very much.

Edit 6/5/2007: Bill's let me know that he was stuck with his Fuji F20 and a bit at the mercy of it's paucity of manual controls, compared with his DSLR which is being repaired. Good chance to learn how to "make do"!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:39 PM   #8

flippedgazelle, thanks for confirming that others have the same question. I hope you will post some of your examples right here. I'll certainly try to capture more blue sky reflection in the water--NM is famous for blue sky--and the rain and hail that happened a few minutes ago should clear it for tomorrow.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:03 AM   #9

Well, JDar, since you've asked:
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:22 AM   #10

I'm glad you posted that stream shot--no doubt it's a beautiful overall shot of an area and the eye can study the photo and enjoy, but is there something lacking--perhaps a single particular focal point? I hope we'll get more opinions. It's scenes like this we need the elk to walk out of the wood beside the stream or large bird to dip down and take a drink. Your shot has one of my favorite things to see in it--the dappled variable light on trees in the background and it continues onto the rock formation and water surface.