Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:51 AM   #1

Chino CA airshow May 07. Please Critique. Thanks.

http://rebrunner.smugmug.com/gallery...68/1/161968140

rebRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2

This is hard. As a gallery there's a lot of "sameness", most aircraft in a right bank. On the other hand for warbird enthusiasts the photos are individually outstanding. Each plane is 1) captured in flight, 2) most in a maneuver and 3) with excellent detail. Your heritage flight of the Bearcat superimposed on the Hornet was great, was that a capture or a creation? Really neat if it was a capture.

Thanks for sharing.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:32 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It is difficult to critique a lot of work, so I would suggest that you post one or possibly two that you want people to critique (this is usually in the critique/technique forum guide but that seems to have gone missing for some reason).

Thanks.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:26 AM   #4

I do alot of outside shooting and have found that a circular polorizer filter is a must with shots of this type...The filter will take out the "dullness" of the sky and make the colors pop...Your series is really good...The only suggestion I have for these is, go back to the originals and bump up your contrast...This will take out the haze look to the shots...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5

This was a capture not a creation of the Bearcat and Hornet. I had my D70 on continouous shots and held the release down as they flew by. This is the one that came out just right.

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
This is hard. As a gallery there's a lot of "sameness", most aircraft in a right bank. On the other hand for warbird enthusiasts the photos are individually outstanding. Each plane is 1) captured in flight, 2) most in a maneuver and 3) with excellent detail. Your heritage flight of the Bearcat superimposed on the Hornet was great, was that a capture or a creation? Really neat if it was a capture.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:08 PM   #6

rebRunner wrote:
Quote:
This was a capture not a creation of the Bearcat and Hornet. I had my D70 on continouous shots and held the release down as they flew by. This is the one that came out just right.

That's great. What caused me to wonder was that they where side by side. Normally in formation flying there is a leader and a wingman and the wingman has the closest distance between the aircraft within his forward vision. As you captured these aircraft neither pilot had the spacing between their wingtips in their forward vision. Somewhat riskier and indicative of a high level of trust between those pilots given that they probably don't fly formation on a day to day basis.

By the way I'm inclined tothink that the contrast is just fine on the aircraft. If you do any tweaking just work on the sky.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:08 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll use your suggestions and the next air show pictures will be a little better.