Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:55 PM   #1

I'm comparing my old Canon PowerShot A-80 to my new Sony SyberShot W-90 to see if I made a good buy or wasted my money. My goal was performance at least as good as the old camera in a smaller, better looking package.

Off course if one of you already knows which camera is better overall, please do tell.

The 1st image is taken with my old A80 using a flash. The image is zoomed in, and taken about 2 hours earlier in the day than with my new camera.

Attached Images

ibex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:01 PM   #2

This is Sony

Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:20 PM   #3

Ibex,

It is really hard to compare these two shots. The second one is way to big. maybe you could resize it to the same sizeas #1.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:48 PM   #4

I'll try to do that.... Maybe you could tell me what techniques people use to compare images? Maybe the image I chose is not good for comparisons?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:12 AM   #5

I guess I would consider features over just a few shots under a controlled condition. As an example, our oldest graduated from High School on Monday. I took my Nikon D80, turned the ISO up to 1600, turned on niose reduction, and got some great shots during the poorly lit ceremony. Everyone else around me had their digital cameras, and were looking at black screens, since we were quite a distance away from the actual stage. My old digital camera, Nikon 885, wouldn't let me do that (High ISO setting), and my Nikon 8800 didn't go up to ISO 1600. So, if I just compared a picture taken with my 885 or 8800 versus the D80, some pictures would look great, and you would wonder why you paid $300 for one, and $1400 for another. But there are situations where the D80 came to the rescue. People at the graduation were asking what camera I had, etc. etc., and I ended up taking pictures, and getting EMail addresses of people around us, which I'll post on our web site for them to download. SO, don't compare a few pictures to determine what's the better camera. My $.02 worth (Probably worth much less).!!!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:21 AM   #6

I second HughnessInNC, Rather What I feel If one has a P/S cam and if that satisify his all the needs ,then he shouldn't go for another P/S.I feel one should garduate to dSLR.OK It is heavy, expensive etc,etc....But after all it is the growth is what one should seek.Infact sony and canon both are an excellent cam.They wont let you down image wise
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:07 PM   #7

ibex333 wrote:
Quote:
...1st image is taken with my old A80 using a flash. The image is zoomed in, and taken about 2 hours earlier in the day than with my new camera...
Don't know about the camera, but you need a new clock!

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:11 PM   #8

Thanx. That's good avice, and you guys are right. After all, I got the Sony with small size, and good night performance in mind, so I got what I wanted.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:44 PM   #9

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
ibex333 wrote:
Quote:
...1st image is taken with my old A80 using a flash. The image is zoomed in, and taken about 2 hours earlier in the day than with my new camera...
Don't know about the camera, but you need a new clock!

Alan T
:G lol good one!
seerskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:07 PM   #10

The only thing i notice is in your sony the WB is not set right so it has a bit of a blue tinge. Other than that you should test on people, outdoors, and in tricky lighting situations.

The clock crack cracked me up.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote