Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:22 AM   #1

I am still learning about composition and the tradeoffs associated with capturing the most pleasing versions of photos. I would like to get opinions on my take for the photos attached. The first is the original, the second is cropped for what I thought was a more pleasing picture. Any opinions with details so I can continue to learn would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Also any help on how to get two photos in the same message would be great too.
Attached Images

TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:26 AM   #2

The edited version
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:47 PM   #3

I'm a big fan of context. While the second shot makes the detail of the pier more visible, the first shows how lonely and fragile that pier is. And since you're in New Jersey, I presume that's a "Red Sky at Morning." If I lived on that pier, I'd be headed inland right about now. See http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/myster...er-sailor.html

Cropping is useful for removing unwanted context. You decide what context you want and don't want, but I prefer the first image.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:31 PM   #4

TCav,

It did in fact rain that day after a somewhat pleasant prior evening. The link you provided was an intersting read and provided some food for thought so far as composition goes. I think you have given me a good memory about my vacation that morning that somewhat makes up for the fact that we lost a good part of that day to less than desirable conditions. Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:38 PM   #5

I agree with Tcav, the first shot is excellent.
Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:41 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Iagree that number 1 is the best but have a few options other crops for you to look at and they take the rule of thirds into consideration. There are a couple of other options but I will let you play with those.

I think of these 4 number 1 is my fave.

Have a look at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2for posting multiple images.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:36 PM   #7

I like Mark's #1. I agree that TBAY's original had a lot of wasted spaceshowing just sand. I'm not as keen on the others though. One of the things I like about the original is how small and insignificant the pier appears compared to the ocean and sky, but they look less menacing in Mark's crops 2, 3, & 4. But TBAY may not be after that kind of image.

The important thing is that the original shot is a great starting point for whichever direction TBAY wants to go.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:46 PM   #8

Lots of really good suggestions here, thanks. After considering the different ways this could be done, I think my favorite is the original. The reason is for the feel of isolation of the structure in the scene. One of the things I liked about the sand in the foreground is that the water receding back into the surf reflects the sky so well and the fire seems to engulf the entire structure. The edge of the wave and bubbles makes it almost looks like molten lava. This picture was tough for me since the the best way to compose it really eluded me. I guess sometimes you just get lucky on the first try.

I do like some of the edits that drop some of the sand out of the frame and if there were no reflected light off the sand that would definitely be the way to go I think especially since there really is alot of space there. Thanks again for the help.

BTW: this forum is great for troublesome shots like this and when I am in search of suggestions. I really get very goodfeedback here from all over the world. It really is pretty amazing. Thanks again.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:01 PM   #9

TBAY wrote:
Quote:
One of the things I liked about the sand in the foreground is that the water receding back into the surf reflects the sky so well and the fire seems to engulf the entire structure.
I get the impression that the scaled down image you posted here doesn't do the original justice. The full size image must be spectacular.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:08 AM   #10

very nice shots, #1 for me, I looked at this shot earlier but looking again its even better than i remember!
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote