Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:33 PM   #11

The unsharp mask is a tool I just started playing with a couple of days ago. Never use it before because of its name "unsharp". Always thought it would make a picture look soft or out of focus. I know, read the book don't assume and try all the controls.

Nice twist adding the painted look too, there just so much that can be done to pictures nodays it hard to think of them all, at least for me.

Thanks for the critiques and the tips,

Craig

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:37 PM   #12

Great composition and original subject. One does not come across a rich subject often. It does not matter what the camera is, in that regard.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:05 PM   #13

clg88,

Thanks, it's always fun when something worth shooting is found. Just makes one (me) wonder, could I have done more with a better camers. Or maybe I'm just using that as an excuse to justify getting a new camera.:-)
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:27 AM   #14

not trying to step on your toes, but you need to work on your thirds just a little bit.
Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 8:53 AM   #15

I'm not sure if I agree on the "thirds" comment. The car seems to be placed nicely according to the guidline. You could argue that the tree is missing the intent but as a background the tree and pumps seem about right. If you could point out possibly where some of the elements are missing or how you would have placed them differently maybe I could understand. It is a distinct possibility that I don't really understand the guideline as well as I thought.:G
Attached Images

TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 10:53 AM   #16

Hello Calicajun! I think you have done a great job here no matter what camera you would have used. I do recommend using every excuse in the book to get your wife to help with a new dslr :G! You can never have enough cameras. Photography is so subjective, we all see things a bit differently here is my take on this cool looking scene. I did just a slight crop of you original, to me the car is the main subject and I just cropped of a bit from the left and top to try and make the car more of the focal point.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:28 PM   #17

Calicajun, I am certainly no expert but I agree with Tbay. Your compositionlooks fine to me regardless of the rule of thirds (which Tbay has illustrated, you did fine with). And isn'titlike the pirates' rule of parlay?.... more like just a guideline anyway? Ha!

I recall15 yearsago when I was enjoyingan afternoonat an Orchid show puttering with my new (well... flea market used...) Minolta T102 learning camera. I was just ambling along experimenting and trying to find my way. When suddenly, over my shoulder, this pushy know-it-all, with a camera bag the size of aStudebaker, barks atme, "So! You DOunderstand the rule of thirds, don'tcha?" Well, she startled me so much I nearly knocked over the grand prize Cattleya that I was shooting in macro mode.

I had no clue what the rule of thirds was, thinking maybe it had something to do with the relationship of Fstop to the weight of the camera....or perhaps some complex triangle formula thatinvolved sines and cosines.

But being totally put off by her obnoxious and unrequested approach, I was not about to let her enjoy my stupidity. So I turned and looked her square in the eye, and said sweetly, "Well, yeah!, but that's more a guideline than a hard and fast rule, don'tcha think?" I figured my response probably did confirm to her that I was indeed an idiot, but at least she went away to find someone else to pester.

As soon as I got home, I went in search of this "rule of thirds". And when I studied up on it, l was relieved to find out that my response wasn't totally out in left field.

I thinkmost of the people in this forum are wonderful with their guidance and opinions. That makes all the difference in the enjoyment of the learning process. I likehearing and seeing alternative examples. (although I oftenlike the original better.)

I look forward to seeing more of your "right place, righttime" images, Calicajun!

Dale

camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:26 PM   #18

TBAY wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if I agree on the "thirds" comment. The car seems to be placed nicely according to the guidline. You could argue that the tree is missing the intent but as a background the tree and pumps seem about right. If you could point out possibly where some of the elements are missing or how you would have placed them differently maybe I could understand. It is a distinct possibility that I don't really understand the guideline as well as I thought.:G
Yep!

Looks good to me. Great composition.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:34 PM   #19

I like evrything about this photograph. It is one you can do almost anything you want to do with it. "BUT" I really think a new camera is due.:blah:Anyone that can take a great photograph like that deserves a new camera if wanted.

Ronnie:lol:
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 5:05 AM   #20

Thanks again to all for both the complements and help. As for the rule of thrids, always thought of it as a guide line to be used with the eye flow rule which should be followed first. The eye should have a path to follow, creating more than one path or point of interest to be followed or viewed. At least that is what I was taught years ago from the different photography classes taken, of course as with most things it is easier said than done but I keep trying.

Now as for the new camera, if I can just make up my mind which one to go with, D80, 30D, or K10, life would be simple.