Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:34 PM   #1

Well being new to Steves forums thought I should jump in and test the waters, so to speak.

Found this one while on vacation.

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:00 PM   #2

I really like the subject and the way you've composed the shot. It would be interesting to see this photo with the saturation turned up. I'll bet the rust on the car would really pop.

I hope you don't mind if I've taken a shot. I upped the saturation a little, increased the contrast, and sharpened the image to bring out some of the detail.
Attached Images

TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:38 PM   #3

Glad you jumped in with us; welcome. That first shot is nice to see and hope you'll post more.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome.

Interesting take on the photo turning up the saturation more. I had added saturation to the original but was affarid too add that much to the picture.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:17 PM   #5

The more I look at this shot the more I like it. Really is a perfect subject and nice composition by the potographer. How often do you come across an opportunity like this? The old car, the old pumps, broken down structures, the flattened front tire,really has a great amount of appeal. If you didn't mention that you came accross it on your vacation I would have thought the shot was staged. Nice work!
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:22 PM   #6

I could go either way on the extra boost on the saturation it depends what the mood you are looking for and what the orginal looked like standing there. I do think regardless of whether you do or don't like the saturation, a little sharpening of the image would help since there are some rather intricate details hidden in that photo that come out like the wheel spokes and the tree bark as examples.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:05 AM   #7

Still learning on the different ways to sharpen a picture, of course if I could talk the wife into getting me a better camera. Not sure if the EXIF data was still attached, if not it was shot with a Sony F717 camera, good camera but a DSLR would be nicer.:-)
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:44 AM   #8

I like both photos, the composition in #1 and the colour boost in #2, good subject matter
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:06 AM   #9

Calicajun,

You have captured a nice picture here regardless of the camera.With that camera in particular you should be able to get some good results. I use a Canon S60 and would someday like to get a DSLR but it's not in the cards for me right now.

BTW: I use "unsharp mask" from Photoshop Elements 3.0

The settings I used for your picture were

Amount - 150%

Radius - 0.5

Threshold - 0

You can play with different settings but I pretty much start with that and adjust up the Amount and Radius to get a desired effect.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:19 AM   #10

Hi Calicajun,

This is a very good photograph. Actually it is a great photograph. You can process it any way you want and it will still be good.

I hope you don't mind me making it look like a nice painting. It also makes a good abstract. It is just plain awesome.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote