Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:05 PM   #1

Hi All Please could you all pass comment on my first ever wildlife macro shot, This was taken on my Olympus E-20 with a non Olympus Macro Lense. I used Manual Focus with no tripod. I have only been shooting for a week so all the functions, settings & terminology are new to me.

Your Comments / advice will be gratefully absorbed.

Thanks

Steve (UK)
Attached Images

lux744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2

Very nice shot.

Got any more?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 4:49 AM   #3

Thanks for you kind words, Here are a couple more for you to comment on, You can be harsh, If I dont get honest answers I will never Learn my errors

Thisis my favourite , I called it "When I Grow UP"

Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:14 PM   #4

Interesting subject and composition.Could be a little sharper focus, possibly use a tripod next time. Manual focus can be a bit tricky especially on macros.A general guideline, but not necessary to follow is the "rule of thirds". You can probably Google the term to get a good definition. When I get a good subject like this I'll take a shot with the subject centered then several moreoff center. If you don't mind here is another take of your picture with a little "unsharp mask" and selective cropping.The location of the frog after cropping basically follows the rule of thirds as does the foliage on the side. Not sure I like it better than the orginal but it provides another perspective.
Attached Images

TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 6:18 PM   #5

Thanks for your Comments Tbay, I also tried to sharpen the image a little in Photo Shop and couldn't decide whether I liked the origional better or the edited one.

I have just bought myself a Tripod today so will be getting back outside when the weather pics up. We have had some seriouse flooding over here, rivers bursting banks etc, which is bad news. Saying that as the floodwaters have started to receed there are some very interesting shots of driftwood & foliage that have been washed up. I will post some more pics soon.

Once again Thanks for your comments

Steve
Old Jul 1, 2007, 6:50 PM   #6

I have a mini tripod that is about 6 inches unextended and extends to about 15 inches. I find it very useful. I can carry it around in my small camera bag while on vacation. Of course it wouldn't work real well with a DSLR and a very long lens but with my Canon S60 it suits me just fine. Sorry to hear about the bad weather, hopefully you that will take care of itself soon. Keep posting, this site has plenty of people for good advice, quite a few from the UK like yourself.
TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:24 AM   #7

Thanksfor your Sound Advice, I am taking delivery of soom Cokin filters today, I cant wait to give them a go and see what they do.

I will post more work soon.

Thanks Again

Steve
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:50 AM   #8

Hi Steve, welcome

The frog looks very sweet, and i go along with a little off set would help. The onions are a good choice of shot, I might try it myself, a little more light perhaps.

macro photography can be a tough nut, for me anyway, dof is still a challenge but i experimint with different settings to see what works for me. Good luck.
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 1:46 PM   #9

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement. I am realy determined to get to grips with macro shots. By the Way the Onions are actually Garlic Bulbs from Morrisons

Reagards

Steve
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:29 AM   #10

Good shot of the frog. Did the frog ever go out into the open space at the bottom left? Would have been a great shot then. The garlic shot is perfect. Nothing to comment on for that one.
clem is offline   Reply With Quote