Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:58 PM   #1

This is the first picture taken with my 40-150MM lens. Went out last night for my little bros birthday party and looked up and HAD to take a picture of the moon! Whatcha think?

I thoughtyesterday that my camera was messed up as it wouldn't focus even though I had it on AF. It finally started working again. Has me puzzled as I hadn't changed anything from the last time I used it. ???
Attached Images

novice_photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:56 PM   #2

There is a lot of noise and grain in the image and you know, I think it works to make the moon slice more engaging and produces somewhat of a three dimensional view. Give that 40-150 mm lens a work out; should be a very useful lens.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:37 PM   #3

Focus isvery soft. I have tried moon shots myself and had about the same luck - very tough. I assume you had a tripod, cable release, etc. The only real way to do astro is with a tracking telescope and a big mirror and lots of magnification...
staggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:28 AM   #4

Not a bad shot, maybe a little noise reduction and sharpenng in PP

..................:|musket
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5

musket wrote:
Quote:
...maybe a little noise reduction and sharpenng in PP
I think the noise reduction removed some of the detail from the surface of the Moon, and sharpening left the characteristic aura.

I prefer the original.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:31 AM   #6

JDar wrote:
Quote:
There is a lot of noise and grain in the image and you know, I think it works to make the moon slice more engaging and produces somewhat of a three dimensional view. Give that 40-150 mm lens a work out; should be a very useful lens.

Yeah, I had gone over it with a softening tool but thought the original looked better.

Quote:
staggart wrote:
Focus isvery soft. I have tried moon shots myself and had about the same luck - very tough. I assume you had a tripod, cable release, etc. The only real way to do astro is with a tracking telescope and a big mirror and lots of magnification...
This was my first time shooting the moon. *laugh* Actually I didn't use a tripod or anything.Our tripod is missing the piece you place on the bottom of the camera so it stays on the tripod.I used the open triangle that is on our avalanche. You know the piece that extends from the roof to the side? I stuck my elbow in there and it help to steady the camera. :lol:

musket, I think the original is better. I tried softening it ect. butstuck with the original. Thank though!

Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:56 PM   #7

Just keep practicing and atripod is a must for moon shots heres what I did with my little Sony H5, the moon had a neat red-orange glow to it. Also what kind of camera you using?

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:07 PM   #8

Ooooooooooooo pretty! That is an awesome shot Cyber!

Iused my new Olympus Evolt e-500.