Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:45 PM   #1

:-)I've been trying to use a nikon 50mm f/1.8 for shooting volleyball and judo. This is an example of a problem I have: sometimes I don't quite get good focus. It is set to continuous mode. Judo is probably the harder of the two activities because you never know who is going to throw, and who is going to be thrown. I wonder if backing up would help with dof? btw the lighting in both sports is very bad.
jcdotcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:55 PM   #2

:roll:Sorry about that last post; my pic exceeds size req. and I don't know how to shrink it. Can someone tell me how to get a 2.2 meg pic down to acceptable size? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3

There's a few ways to make a photo's file size smaller. You can resize the image using just about any image editor. You could also increase the compression factor if the photo is in JPEG format, but that will decrease the quality. If you have Photoshop, try the Save for Web feature.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks Jason. Here's that picture. (I hope)
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:53 PM   #5

I think the reason your DOF is so limited is because your using a F1.8 aperature. Thats very low, and will definately give you limited DOF. I would suggest using a higher F number although that will slow your shutter speed which you deffinately dont want. You could try using a higher iso setting.
photoshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:00 PM   #6

Yeah, I knew the aperture would reduce dof, but I really have no choice. The places I shoot in are dungeons. I can't remember the iso for that particular pic, but sometimes I shoot at 3200; the max for my d80. I think I might just have to improve my technique. Thanks for the reply.

Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:14 PM   #7

Shooting from further away will increase your DOF. The trick is finding the right compromise of enough DOF without shrinking the subjects too much.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote