Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:26 PM   #1

Hi. I'm pretty much an "advanced beginner" (I think) when it comes to photography (digital or film) and have just recently started doing more with post processing. Below are some miscellaneous pictures I took at some point. I messed with them a bit on my PC and am curious to see what others think of the results.

The two car pix taken in the garage are a bit darker but I did that on purpose (I liked the way it looked; a little bit more...ominous). The backgroundof the "salty car pic" is pretty well....overexposed; a combination, I think,of it being REALLY sunny and bright out (w/ the reflection off thesnow) and me taking the picture from inside the shaded garage.

Anyways, for anyone that is willing, feel free to critique these pix. I'm looking to improve so tips/pointers are welcome. Hopefully they're not too horrible....I finished doing some of these around 3am yesterday. :-) Sorry if the pix are too big and TIA!

mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:15 PM   #2

More information about camera and lens :idea:

As there is noindication of the camera or exposure settings on the Iexif's

these could have helped with a critique................Metering on the

highlights of some the scenes IMO would have helpedwith some

and a circular polarizer could have helped with the sky, boat scenes

and glare in some. #4 and #7are pretty good shots.

...................:|................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:39 PM   #3

musket wrote:
Quote:
More information about camera and lens :idea:

As there is noindication of the camera or exposure settings on the Iexif's

these could have helped with a critique................Metering on the

highlights of some the scenes IMO would have helpedwith some

and a circular polarizer could have helped with the sky, boat scenes

and glare in some. #4 and #7are pretty good shots.

...................:|................musket
Thanks for the response! #4 (Komodo Dragon) turned out pretty good (I think) considering the dragon moved it's head a little bit while I was taking the picture but at the reduced image size the slight blur isn't very noticeable. Both pix 4 and 5 were shot thru plexiglass at the Shedd Aquarium. Considering the amount of reflection of people on it, I'm pleased with how they came out.

I'll have to look into getting the EXIF data and how to get it. The digicam I used was the Canon S3 IS and the pix were taken at either ISO 100, 200, or 400......if I can figure out how to extrapolate the EXIF data I'll post it up. I'll have to look into "metering on the highlights", too. I'm not familiar with that. I did have a UV filter on for all the shots and I did have a circular polarizer for some of the car shots (I did for the 'salty' one) and I think the dragon pic. I had it on and off when I was in the aquarium so I forget. I didn't think of using it for those building shots though.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:40 PM   #4

I will comment on the car picture.
One of the thing that I hate the most about some of my pictures are those annoying things in the background that pull you away from the main subject.

On the first picture, the water bottle should have been removed before you took that picture. The garbage can and the car in the background is also annoying but not as much as the water bottle. If you are getting into photosho, then they can be removed easily.

The 2nd picture, the same thing. The punching bag and the bike isn't that bad because it IS inside a garage so it is ok. But that table or whatoever object on the bottome left could be removed.

I like the 3rd picture. I know the background is overblown but I think it works really well with that shot because you have a dark color car.

If you don't mind here is a photoshoped verion of the 1st image. It took me about a minute to do. The garbage part of it could be better but it was a quick chop.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I will comment on the car picture.
One of the thing that I hate the most about some of my pictures are those annoying things in the background that pull you away from the main subject.

On the first picture, the water bottle should have been removed before you took that picture. The garbage can and the car in the background is also annoying but not as much as the water bottle. If you are getting into photosho, then they can be removed easily.

The 2nd picture, the same thing. The punching bag and the bike isn't that bad because it IS inside a garage so it is ok. But that table or whatoever object on the bottome left could be removed.

I like the 3rd picture. I know the background is overblown but I think it works really well with that shot because you have a dark color car.

If you don't mind here is a photoshoped verion of the 1st image. It took me about a minute to do. The garbage part of it could be better but it was a quick chop.

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at the pic when I get home since my work place now filters out anything hosted by some of the more common hosting sites (photobucket, imageshack, fotki, etc...) but I'd be interested to see the result.

The car pix actually weren't intended to be a car photoshoot. I had just finished sealing the car (w/ AIO) after having washed, clayed, and lightly polished it and it wouldn't get any cleaner than it was right then. My car detail friends (yes, we're nerds lol) would've been interestd to see the general look of the car but it was too dark out to take pix. I was mainlytoying with my camera and liked the general result of thecar so I thought I run them thru my limited PS skills. I do side with you I thought about oddball distractions taking away from the main subject. I'll see if I can find something better to process. I'm glad you like the 3rd shot 'cause I was beginning to think I was the only that thought liked the way it turned out! :-)

Extras aside, what did you think of the way the general pictures (or just the car) came out? Too soft, sharp, etc...? I appreciate the feedback!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:34 PM   #6

I see nothing wrong with the picture besides the reasons that I stated before. Even then there was nothing with with it, it was just my personal opinion. The main subject is in focus, the image is not slanted, composision is pretty good. The first two image are typical image that people take of there car. People who "just" want to take a picture of it to show off there car and nothing else. Hey I do the same too, you are not the only one. I have a bunch of those type of photos in my computer and it keeps growing everything I clean/wax/detail my car. :lol:

The 3rd one is the only one that I can say is different and you don't really see a picture exposed like that. Some people may not like it exposed like that, but personally I think it works well.

I'll let others give there $.02 on it.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with the picture besides the reasons that I stated before. Even then there was nothing with with it, it was just my personal opinion. The main subject is in focus, the image is not slanted, composision is pretty good. The first two image are typical image that people take of there car. People who "just" want to take a picture of it to show off there car and nothing else. Hey I do the same too, you are not the only one. I have a bunch of those type of photos in my computer and it keeps growing everything I clean/wax/detail my car. :lol:

True the 3qtr shot is used a lot. I know I do that a lot along with offset nose pix. Looking at the pix I took atlast 4 years of theChicago Auto Show clearly reflects that. lol

If you mean "show off" as in "look at my overpriced car" then lol j/k I love cars and mine is just convenient to practice on. My collection of post-detail pix also continues to grow...especially as I continue to get engrossed in the art of car detailing (the cabinet in my garage is full of gear & products: http://www.e-owned.com/displayimage....313&pos=14). I have plenty of macro shots of swirl-free paint. :-):lol: My gf just shakes her head at those.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 2:56 AM   #8

#3 does lead to an interesting subject, but the overexposed background (which takes up 50% of the frame) does take away from attention to the car. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the background overexposed completely white, but there is detail there and that detail does make my eye wander away from the car. I would consider making a tight crop to put more emphasis on the car.

Also, next time PLEASE make separate topics for the photos of the komodo dragon and city skyline. These photos are completely new topics, and should be treated as such. This will also decrease the amount of photos that 56k'ers need to load anyway.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 1:11 PM   #9

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
#3 does lead to an interesting subject, but the overexposed background (which takes up 50% of the frame) does take away from attention to the car. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the background overexposed completely white, but there is detail there and that detail does make my eye wander away from the car. I would consider making a tight crop to put more emphasis on the car.

Also, next time PLEASE make separate topics for the photos of the komodo dragon and city skyline. These photos are completely new topics, and should be treated as such. This will also decrease the amount of photos that 56k'ers need to load anyway.

- Jason
Thanks for the input.

Sorry about that. I'll break up future C&C posts by topic or provide a link to the images.