Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:57 AM   #1

Hi took these macro shots at a local nature reserve. These are my first real attempts atusing macro on the Oly e510, I was using the Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 lens. The shot of the kingfisher was a quick snapshot as it came to rest about 70-80 ft away. Unfortunately I failed to notice that I had the Iso at 800 and so there is a fair bit of noise. I was using the Zuiko 40-150 lens for this shot. None of them have any pp done just resized so they are straight out of camera pics. Hope you like the shots?!!

napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:37 PM   #2

The noise is not disturbing in these shots! I especially liked picture#1.

With its Live LCD forunusualpoints of view, superior bundledkit lens,sophisticated dust removal IS systemsyour e510 is a really worthy choice My only concern is about the much discussed dynamic range issue due to smaller sensor and the consequent risk of blown highlights! I would like to read your experience so far and see further shots in this regard : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:49 PM   #3

Thanks bahadir.I'm very new to dslr camerasand I appreciate any comments good or bad about mytechnique, my choicesofDof etc .

I am really enjoying the e510, I learnt the basics with my Canon S3 which is a great little camera but suffer terribly in low or poor light situations. So I decided to move up to a dslr, I was originally going to get a Canon Eos 400D or perhaps the Nikon D80 but whilst trying to decide which I came across the Olympus and to be honest it felt just right in my hand, with live view and a working dust removal system and IS I felt that this was the right camera for me to step up to.

As far as blown highlights There are occasions where thisoccurs and this camera is definitely prone to doing so, but being my first dslr I was not sure at the start whether this was due to my inexperience and poor choice of settings. However I am finding that so long as I set up the camera well andset the exposure control according to the situation i'm shooting in then blown highlights are becoming a very rare occurence. Certianly there are many work arounds to eliminate this problem, using centre or spot metering certainly helps.

I do not haveenough experience to say that the highlights problem would make me choose a different camera if I could go back to my decision. I believe that allcameras have their strong and weak points Canon and Nikon included, and definitely the kit lenses on the Olympus are pin sharp and superior as far as I can see to the others. The 14-54 F2.8-3.5 lens is a great lens for portraits andlow light work. Of courseI would love a faster lens who wouldn't but for what I do at present and need in the near future is more than catered for by this camera.

Here are two shots of the same scene the first is with +0.7 ev compensation the second is with 0 ev compensation as I siad it is very much a point of me learning to gauge the conditions to get the best result and this will only come with time and experience as do most things to do with photography. So no real problem just a lot to learn!! These were taken using the Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 (28-108mm 35m equivalent) lens

Should I ever want to turn pro thena better camera will be needed but this is true also of the 400D and the 80D.

Thanks for your comments and I hope this reply helpsanswer your questions

napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:51 AM   #4

Very good application of EV compensation (Though I invariably use the Manual mode+ spot metering)

Btw, I quite liked the place and the IQ from the cameraeven in the overexposed one!

I am sure you know the trick about superior IQ for e410 and e 510:

Turning off the Noise filter and shifting the sharpening to -2...and then applyinga third party noise software if necessary... I've seen some terrific images from that camera :!:

I hope spotmetering or EV compensationwhichappear as remedy for the clipped highlights would not bring noise as well as the desired detail and colour when the shadow areas are brightened up, as a result of smaller sensor size...

The Oly and Pentaxhave offered cameraswhich are uppermost and therefore competing!! in my mind :?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote