Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:25 PM   #11

nice to see we are both working hard to get there mark :-)

no short cuts for hard work, i also have shota couple of weddings candid style,and will willingly shoot that style but not as main photographer.

you do free ones for friends and it leads to paid work

seen it on here so man times though where someone buys a camera and thinks it will make them tons of money

one day mate we may both make our dreams reality

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:49 PM   #12

Here's my 2 cents If you have a dream or passion dont let anyone and I mean anyone (here or family, friends) keep you from pursuing your dreams. I think you need to (anyone) get some technical knowledge but don't overload on it. Follow your heart. Some of the best shots I have seen have not been the best technical but they had feeling and people will buy on how it makes them feel. I have sold prints that where ok from a technical point but they had feeling, it touched them. That imho is what matters.
And Mark just as your handle states BELIEVE don't look to the lrft ot right but stay focused. That is the main reason people fail .. Broken focus... One more thing
KEEP SHOOTING!! you are never done...

Kevin
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:43 PM   #13

Heh still at it...same camera

Some amazing and truly useful advice was given :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jehather/
Jarrett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:15 PM   #14

so mate one year on have you got yourself sorted with some sales of your pics??

Gary
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:09 PM   #15

Nah...I've got some decent recognition on my own though (Juried Show, pics at PortCredit.com, contest finalist). I have no doubt my pics are good now, but what I really need is a job so I can get a better camera =/ Interested in maybe a Pentax dslr or a high-end compact (wide angle, raw, AA batteries, 10mp, clean images at ISO 100, 200, 400). Actually my Fuji is really ideal besides the 6mp, I've been able to use its more advanced features and grow with it.

Gosh I don't even have the money to print off my stuff to send proposals or even if people would hang them up around for free.

Edit: I tend toward landscape ish shots, but practicing macros since the beginning of this month has really got me excited! It's definitely more of a challenge...

Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:47 PM   #16

hi mate

glad to see your coming along, a decent camera doesnt allways mean better pics as its how you frame the shot and composition that counts, had a look at your and there are some well composed shots

its a catch 22 situation, you want to earn from you work but need money to start.

in last month i got aproached to decorate the lobby of a mill thats been converted to flats, this led to 2 sales in the first week and a few more enquiries, plus one more place intrested in showing my stuff, and also possibilaty of a shop/gallery as arose so i may take that up, overtime will cover overheads till it takes off.

canvas prints are where the money is as the canvas and stretcher bars are far cheaper than print and frame so profit is more

regards

Gary
Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:45 PM   #17

You dont need more than 6mp for most prints IMO. If you want to upgrade, rather get a DSLR for the extra features and wider lens. MP isnt that important.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:30 AM   #18

All your shots are beautiful! Keep your eyes and ears open for new business's in your local area...gift shops...motels......coffee shops ect...I stopped in a local town next to me a few years back that has many gift shops. The little antique buildings and window displays were beautiful..I went in and ask if I could take pictures...they allowed me to do it and told me to come back any time. Long story short...I printed out a sample package of post cards and brochures with their pictures on them, dropped off the sample package left my name and number. By the time I got home the owners of several shops called and placed orders for post cards and brochures and Christmas cards. Go for it...some shops will even let you display your prints and sell them for little percentage just so they can keep new idems going. You can do it!
photowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:43 AM   #19

The first time I had my photo against others I really got a feel for how large things need to be (or framed 'just right') to get noticed. The more I have wanted to use my photos as prints the more I have realized how small they really are. So I started using Qimage to handle all the upsizing and sharpening and they look great considering the file.

Heh something I spotted:

Next thing I might get is the G10 since Fuji isn't planning anything for a while
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:21 PM   #20

Instead of focusing on "money", think about audience.

Who is your audience?

What do you want to communicate?

What sort of photos would most please your audience?

Who spends the money? How do you reach them? Do you know what they want?

Do you know what it takes to give them what they want?

Think about the "end" and then work your way back to the beginning.

Then you'll know why the camera is in your hand and what your trying to accomplish.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote