Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:48 PM   #1

I can't think of any other way to ask this, but maybe some of you could flip through my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jehather/ (the first 3 pages are pretty good examples). If you want to see them organized by sets (albums) click that at the top.

Tell me what you think :-)

The camera is a Fuji S6000fd

Jarrett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:12 PM   #2

persue as in??

hobby ? or make money?

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:33 PM   #3

To make money
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:26 AM   #4

now there is the hard thing to do

nearly everyone who enjoys photography would love to make money from it

try concentrate on a style u like and stick to it, dont try to be good at everything, if u have passion it shows, it takes time to build up a portfolio of decent images, better a few decent ones than many weak ones

there are many threads on forum about making money from photography and general feeling is its vey very hard, there was a thread about earning a living from your pics, if i could sell5 canvas prints a week i would earn nearly as much as my wage, sounds tempting........but try do that for a year and u need a heck of a lot of customers

keep taking pics post them on here get feedback and enjoy what you do

Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:00 PM   #5

thanks reanimator, that's really good advice. i didn't expect to hear that here.

how can i concentrate on a particular style? i'd like to be more consistent instead of having endless "nice" pictures that amount to nothing if you know what i mean. should i go out with a concept in mind?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:26 PM   #6

Just go with what you enjoy the most, I for example cannot see landscape shots to save my life, but I enjoy macro, candid and other close shots, so I rarely look at the big picture (literally!)

I really liked these shots of yours:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jehather/1185368334/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jehather/1088776123/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jehather/1046913910/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jehather/1046020403/

They are the sort of thing I would love to be able to see and take.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:42 PM   #7

you should know what you enjoy shooting and thats what u should concentrate on, for me its panoramic landscapes.

i dont try to do anything else because i wont have same passion for it

when u found your style then its just a case of getting most out of your pics with editing software

i spend longer editing than actualy shooting, which seems stupid but i do like to try get best out of my fave pics

Gary
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:29 PM   #8

the other part of the question is:

How much money are you wanting to make? How important is it for you to make money vs. just shoot what you want?

The reason being - in order to make money on any product there has to be a market for that product, you have to be able to access that market and you have to successfully advertise and sell to that market.

As an example - I LOVE sports photography. But there isn't much money in that. I make a few grand a year but that's about it. A wedding photographer makes a good amount more money - they can make in a month what I make in a year (a true pro could probably make it in a weekend). a child portrait photographer will also make more money. So, after deciding what type of photography you want to follow - you need to decide what market you're trying to reach. Do you want to be a stock photographer? In which case you place images on a consignment basis on stock websites and you're paid for each use. That can be VERY VERY tough as you're competing in the global marketplace against 10s of thousands of other photographers. Do you want to freelance for magazines? Do you want to sell in galleries?

So, you need to make a decision. Is the primary goal to make money? In which case you study and try to adapt a style with a higher demand? Or do you want to make some extra cash out of something your passionate about (in which case you still need to figure out what aspect of photography you're passionate about).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:51 PM   #9

just to follow up......

it can pay off, i have had a fantastic response to 8 pics i submitted to an art exhibition on canvas, 30x20s and 12x 36 panos, all sold and got repeat orders for a few

now if only i could do that every week !!

getting a feature in local paper so could lead to yet more sales of prints

but one things is sure true you have to put in a lot of hard work and believe in what you can do, people will buy if it truely is good

Gary
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:48 PM   #10
Super Moderator

It's all well and good about producing good photos but if you don't get them in front of the right audience then you are going to sell nothing. You need to be good at marketing as well as photography, you need to know your market, be aware if there is enough of a gap in that market for your photography and then get the market to place orders. Once you have done that you need to be able to meet the orders in a timely manor with the quality of production expected.

If you are able to put all of this together then you can make it work.

I'm personally on a medium term plan to become a full time pro, like JohnG I really love shooting sports however there is not the money in it so weddings and portraits are the things I'm going after. Fortunately I love shooting people and in weddings you can find similar challenges to a sporting event which is great. I get a real buzz and actually like the responsibility of meeting/exceeding what the couple are looking for. I'm also a realist in that I'm just starting out in this and that I have a lot to learn so it is not going to happen over night. I help out a full time pro on occasion which allows me to learn huge amounts, I also study the work of other top shooters to see what they are producing, checking out angles, dof, lighting, composition so I can increase my potential shot repertoire. I read a lot of forum info and read books on wedding shooting. I'm at the stage of building up my portfolio, I have done one wedding so far by myself for a friend, I have another for a friends brother next month and then another friend in Oct. I'm also planning some day long studio shoots where I can get friends/family in for shots so I can try out poses and lighting, this again will allow me to get a portfolio built. One thing though, never show work unless it is your best, so if I'm not successful in something I will use it to learn from and get right next time.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote