Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:41 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I've been semi into photography for a few years, and last year got an S2IS. Most advanced camera I'd used or owned, but my dad has an old (20-30 yrs.) SLR so he helped out quite a bit. Anyway I noticed this here lily while atop a bridge the other yesterday and shot it. I like it, but what do you all think? I'm just trying to get better and while I may be okay with how it turned out I know there's room for improvement. So what would you have done differently? The EXIF for it is on flickr if you need to see it. Thanks, Kyle

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1337542964/
KyleJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:48 PM   #2

Hi Kyle,

A very nice picture. Very good detail and the color of the yellow inside is excellent.You can do almost anything with this flower photo. I like it a lot. My version would be as I send it to you but that is not the only way to look at this picture. Nice job. I like it a lot.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:28 PM   #3

Very Nice work Kylejones.
But we all are learning something new everyday ,Isn't it.
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:29 PM   #4

Ronnie, thanks. Was it just a crop/shadowing job? Also, where can I get a decent program for a decent price? Kyle
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5

Hi Kyle,

I just used the cloning tool in photoshop to make the background all black and cloned around the flower to get rid of a few leafs and then cropped the picture and sized it to be a true 5X7. It was a very good photograph to start with so it was a very easy thing to do.

I have photoshop CS3 but I'm sure that Photoshop elements will be just as good for you. CS3 is very expensive but the elements version is very affordable so if I were on a budget I would get it.

I bought photoshop 6 many years ago and upgraded to 7 then,CS, then CS2 and now CS3 upgrade. I belong to the NAPP so the upgrade was not real expensiveusing their discount code.

I once had ACDsee but it got so complicated and took so much control of my computer I removed it completly and decided to just stick with using Photoshop. Go to the Adobe web site and read about the photoshop elements program and I'm sure you will want to have it.

Ronnie
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:17 AM   #6

Ronnie,

I'll definately look into Elements. I used to have it on my parent's computer years ago before I really needed it. Just did the basic messing around with things- nothing serious. Now that I'm into this stuff and see that I actually do need to use it I think it'd be worth the cost. Is there a huge gap in difficulty/features between any of them? I suppose that would be more of an oppinionated question. Kyle
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:38 AM   #7

Hi Kyle,

From what I have kind of read on this and other forums is that almost all of the features used most in regular photoshop are available with elements. I never had elements so I'm not sure if this is true or not. Go to the Adobe site or maybe google "Elements" to find a review. It may be the program you are looking for. I think CS3 is about $600.00 and worth it if you are going to use it. BUT, if you are not doing photo's for money I would think elements for around $100.00 would do just fine.

Ronnie

PS: I just went to the Adobe site and found they offer a free triail download of elements 5. Try before you buy is the way to go to see if it will do what you want it to do.

Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8

I was just at the Adobe site and must have missed the download. Definately going to get that rite now. I was also horribly intrigued by the features of CS3. Then again I have to think that they are trying to sell that product over Elements. I'll dl elem. 5 and probably buy it soon. Thanks! Kyle
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:26 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Worth checking out PaintShop Pro as an alternative to Elements as it sits between Elements and CS3. I've used the series for years and find it very good and things I read in the Photoshop tutorials can mostly be done with PaintShop Pro. That also has a download available from the Corel site. Obviously if budget is no issue the CS3 is the best way to go.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:07 PM   #10

Mark, I'm going to use the Elements trial for a while, and thanks to your insite I will try the Paintshop program. I'm trying to save one of my recent photos that was severly underexposed, and so far I've got it. Kyle