Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:08 PM   #1

Please tell me what you all think of these six pictures.

Thank You.

Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:06 PM   #2

Try as I may to tear them apart I can only say they are all very good pics.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:07 PM   #3

Likewise. It's hard to focus on anything in particular in the one with the ship, but I think it's because everything in the area is very monotoned. The waterfalls look like a postcard, or should be on one. Kyle
KyleJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:50 AM   #4

All really good shots and scenes,I thought I'd try an edit with one in PP to see

what variation I could come up with...............musket

Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:59 AM   #5

This will be a very subjective evaluation. Technically, they are all fine. My visceral response to the first photo is that I don't know why you took the picture at all. ISTM that a photograph demands that one focus on a particular view, and in return will be presented with a deeper appreciation of the world in some aesthetic, informational, or moral sense. I just don't understand what I am being presented with in the first image.

The next four all deliver on the implied contract of a photograph and the viewer, but in a sense that we all struggle with -- they are very craftsmanlike, but I feel like I've seen each of them many times before. This is almost inevitable -- who can look at a collection of Ansel Adams photos without ending up making Ansel Adams photos in response? That's the main misgivng I have on the middle set of photographs. They are good, but derivative.

The last photo strikes me as unique, and unique in that wonderful way of seeming that it is more a memory than a photograph, but I can't quite identify what the memory is from. There is something both universal and particular about it that makes it, for me at least, the real "art shot" of the group.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:33 PM   #6

Here goes.

#1: I don't know what you want me to look at. The waves? The beach?

#2: This is a collection of different shapes all with a common texture. Interesting shot, but I don't know why.

#3: Again, I don't know what you want me to look at. The sky? The hill? The reflection? The logs? Perhaps a landscape crop that dropped some of the sky and some of the foreground would help.

#4: Interesting juxtaposition of the ship and the industrial plant on the far shore, but, as with #3, there are too many things competing for my attention.

#5: I have never been a fan oflong exposures of waterfalls. They create an image that doesn't exist in nature, only in the photograph. But as these go, I think you're too close or zoomed in too far. I think the shot should have included more of the shoreline, near and far, and the top of the falls as well.

#6: VERY NICE! The tree roots criss-crossing the path as it goes off into the woods. Interesting contrast of textures and patterns. VERY NICE!

... just my $1/50.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:49 PM   #7

This is what I mean about #3:
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:33 PM   #8

I agree about pic 1 having no focus subject. However, I find the picture very watchable. The texture of land, sea and air is well demonstrated. Also textures with the sand, the choppy waves and the foggy sky. Nothing to watch in particular but I keep watching anyway. I think the pic should be posted slightly smaller so that all of it is viewable at once. I like the rusty lock picture because it makes me think of who put it there and how long ago. The rust and pitted metal wasnt done overnight. Interesting pic. The last pic is so enjoyable is because its not a common site and very eye catching. My least favorite is the boat scene. As has been said there is too much competing for the shape of the ship. All in all though I still say good job. But listening to the others here will improve your next outing.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote