Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:21 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Works much better but as you say res might be down.

I woulduse this as a learning experience and shoot the subject again taking these things into consideration.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:27 PM   #12

Ok
#1 I think that was as close as I could get - although I do like the out of focus background, I agree
it's too 'big' a photo, and cropping it just doesn't really add anything.

#2 I liked the colours in this shot and a lot of people at work really like it - but I needed a photographers
'view'. I agree with Tcav as it is not much of a subject.

#3 This was a difficult shot as it was windy and the plant was moving quite a bit - there is a stem in front
that is blurred due to the depth of field. But the main subject I think is just not quite sharp enough, I do
quite like the shot though.

#4 Ok I will play around with cropping it - thanks. I just liked the way the water is displaced around the leaves
to the right of the shot.

#5 I liked the texture of this log, I think it has character - I would have entered in the still life category
I think, but wasn't sure if it was interesting enough.

Thanks for all your input.

P.S Mark1616 - the subtitle in the forum says that this is for a competition, it's for work(banking!) they have about
six categories.
Bigfootpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:29 PM   #13

Oh - P.P.S

These are actually scans of slides - so not exactly digital, but I just really needed a photographers input...

The slide quality leaves these for dead...
Bigfootpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:31 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Bigfootpete wrote:
Quote:
P.S Mark1616 - the subtitle in the forum says that this is for a competition, it's for work(banking!) they have about
six categories.
Oops, that would help. I subscribe to this and a couple of other sections of Steve's so get an email and come straight in and the subtitles don't show. That will teach me!!

When do you need to get these in by? Have you got the ability to get a new angle on 4 in time as that should do well?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:33 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Just got your other bit, what camera to you shoot with and what film?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:55 PM   #16

I like #3 the best of them all. It is a very good photograph and I would give it a 9+ out of a possible 10. I like it a lot.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:12 PM   #17

Bigfootpete wrote:
Quote:
#4 Ok I will play around with cropping it - thanks. I just liked the way the water is displaced around the leaves to the right of the shot.
I like the leaves/water too, but the flower is the focal point. Colors in the middle of the spectrum (basically, green)don't draw our attention the way that colors on the edge of the spectrum do (red/orange & purple/blue.) That's why flowers jump out at us. (Who pays any attention to green flowers?)

So when there's a flower in the frame, that's what everyone's going to look at. Just as in a photo of someone looking at something outside the frame, we wonder what they're looking at, when a flower is facing outside the frame, we want to look in the same direction. So the flower is directing the viewers' attention to something outside your photo.

You don't win contests by pointing to other people's work.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:28 PM   #18

Im inclined towards a landscape shape to your lily picture. This cropping is in proportion to the overal shape of your original. The flower is so beautiful and contrasts nicely with the green pads. The dark and light shades of water help. But you dont need too much so thats why I cropped it like this. The flower is so powerful in the picture that to me, it doesnt matter that the center actually points in another direction. Thats what you have to work with so make the best of it. I think this is the only pic of what you have shown us. They are mostly pretty good shots but the focus on this one is spot on. Nice job.
Attached Images

Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:31 PM   #19

Notwithsantding Bynx's suggestion, most photos are in the landscape orientation, and that's what the judge(s) will have to contend with. A photo in the portrait orientation may draw a little more attention for that simple reason.

Just a thought.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:46 AM   #20

Hi,

I would closely echo some of the suggestions others have already given.... and yes, at first impression (and still) I prefer photo 4, with a possible crop as Bynx suggested.

Difficult to chose though....

Best wishes for the competition. Let us know how you go.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote