Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:21 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I was at Glenelg beach here in Adelaide, South Australia. It was an unusually warm evening (end of August, which means end of winter here, but still there were plenty of people on the beach and daring to wet their toes in the ocean!)

There was a lovely setting sun (which I took some photos of) however I noticed a photo opportunity in a bird sitting on a lamp post, and the hues of the sun reflecting in the bird's chest feathers. I appreciated in the blue sky behind the bird as well as the moon as lovely backdrops too. IMHO it was a photo that needed to be made, so I clicked away!

Are your opinions / comments / suggestions about this photo?

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:00 AM   #2

That's really a cute composition well worth sharing

'Lit by the setting sun or evening sun' makes a great theme to enjoy...I remember a posting some picsunder a very similar title :-): http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

I could only suggest a little cropping off from the bottom about the joint of the pole.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:22 PM   #3

Clean, simple composition filled with contrasting colors and textures.

Very nice!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:02 PM   #4

Hello bahadir!

Thanks for looking! I just checked out your post, "leaves lit by the evening sun" and posted some comments there. Nice shot!

I had already cropped the original photo (especially off the bottom and top) but maybe you're right that a crop at the join would work good / better too... I'll try a tighter crop below

-------------------------------
TCav,

Also thanks to you for your kind feedback. Indeed I did want a clear, clean composition, so I'm glad it kinda worked out.

The only think I was thinking that might improve (with some work) is getting rid of the bird droppings on the lamp shade... but that would take some fine cloning work... and I didn't have the desire to do that (yet!)

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:05 PM   #5

.. and this was another thought I had for a crop (possible from the original).

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:39 PM   #6

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
The only think I was thinking that might improve (with some work) is getting rid of the bird droppings on the lamp shade...
Actually, the bird droppings add color and texture, and I think the image would be less interesting without them.

The only thought that crossed my mind, was perhaps replacing the moon witha sharper image, but then you've got to work with the blue shadows.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:43 PM   #7

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
.. and this was another thought I had for a crop ...
I don't think it works as well. I'm a big fan of context. In the original, the lamppost, shade and bulb make the image more real.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:01 AM   #8

Thanks for your continued feedback and thoughts, TCav...

Yes I agree the bird droppings do act texture and colour... you're right. I was wondering if a smoother image / outcome might be another possibility by getting rid of them (another option for a slightly different "style" of photo I guess)...

I don't know how I'd make a "sharper" moon unless I pasted one in from another photo... And as you said, yes, it would need to "match"

Thanks for sharing your view the "ultra cropped" version loses its appeal for you due to lack of context!

Best wishes

Paul

Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:11 AM   #9

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know how I'd make a "sharper" moon unless I pasted one in from another photo... And as you said, yes, it would need to "match"
That's exactly what I mean. Since the sky is clear, you could just clone the moon out, but I like the moon.

You could take another shot of the moon youself, or use someone elses (to my knowledge, no one holds a copyright on the moon.) The trick though, would be replacing the shadows on the replacement moon with the blue of your sky.

And if you do this, you could replace the moon with any phase of the moon you wanted. The moon you've got is a Waxing Gibbous, which is appropriate for a sunset, but for fun, you could replace it with a Waning Gibbous, Last Quarter, or Waning Crescent, which would not be appropiate for a sunset. These are referred to as 'impossible moons', and you might have fun seeing if anyone notices.

Heck, you could just flip or rotate the moon you've got!

But that still uses the same blurry moon you've started with.

Attached Images

Old Sep 30, 2007, 4:40 AM   #10

great shot and nice comp

very interesting. I tried to get more detial from moon by overlaying but it has upset sky clr cast a bit

This gives a very harsh result to the sharpness but can be toned back.

cheers

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote