Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:08 PM   #1

Ok, I have one last entry for the competition - and it's between these three shots.

I like the bee shot because of the clarity of it's wings - but the colour does not inspire.

I like the purple shot because of the shape and colour, but the depth of field isn't quite right, is that enough to discount it?

And the floating flower - although not a perfect flower, just has a really good effect!

- Click on the thumnails to see the larger pics...

Bigfootpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:36 PM   #2

In #1, the Bee is in focus, but the flower isn't.

There's nothing remarkable about #2.

#3 would be great if the depth of field were deep enough to have all the blossoms in focus.

Sometimes, a very shallow depth of field is good, but I don't think it works in these.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:15 PM   #3

i vote for the bee
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:51 AM   #4

Thanks Mopar.

Well I guess I should have tried the AP setting for the purple flowers seeing as I spent quite some time trying to get that shot right! (I used the natural light setting instead!). Depth of field is my main sticking point at the moment!

Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:56 AM   #5

Bigfootpete wrote:
Quote:
Well I guess I should have tried the AP setting for the purple flowers seeing as I spent quite some time trying to get that shot right! (I used the natural light setting instead!). Depth of field is my main sticking point at the moment!
The composition and exposure are great. But it was shot at ISO 200, f/2.8, at 1/220". If you had closed the aperture to f/4.0, the shutter speed would have been 1/440", all the blossoms in the bunch would probably be in focus, and the plants in the background would still be blurred.

The E900 is a fine camera; it just doesn't have the kind of features that would let you experiment with depth of field very much. Since this isn't film, but digital photography, you can take the same shot repeatedly, each time using a different aperture, so you can see what happens. Your E900 was able to produce a smaller depth of field than I'd have thought it was capable of, but I just think you went a little bit too far with it.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:11 PM   #6

Well an aperture range of 2.8-8.0 isn't bad for a camera that is a few years old now.

I was looking at the new Panasonic cameras (FX33-FX100) and theyonly go up to f 5.6!)
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:34 PM   #7

Bigfootpete wrote:
Quote:
Well an aperture range of 2.8-8.0 isn't bad for a camera that is a few years old now.

I was looking at the new Panasonic cameras (FX33-FX100) and theyonly go up to f 5.6!)
Actually, the aperture on your lens is the same. The Fuji E900 has a zoom lens with a focal length rangeing from 7.2mm to 28.8mm. Aperture is the size of the opening through which light passes, and is expressed as a ratio of the diameter of the aperture to the focal length. The maximum aperture of your lens at 7.2mm is f/2.8, while at 28.8mm, the maximum aperture is f/5.6. The f/8.0 in the specs for the E900 refers to the minimum aperture at the 7.2mm focal length. While the User's Manual for the E900 doesn't show what the minimum aperture is at the focal length of 28.8, I suspect it's f/16.

The Panasonic FX33 has a lens with a different focal length, but its maximum aperture is the same as the lens on your E900. The maximum aperture is f/2.8 at the lens' shortest focal length and f/5.6 at it's longest, and the minimum aperture is f/8.0 to f/16, from its shortest to its longest focal length, the same as the lens on your E900.

What is different is that the E900 lets you adjust the aperture from f/2.8 to f/8.0 in 10 steps. That is, you could set the aperture to any of f/2.8, f/3.2, f/3.5, f/4.0, f/4.5, f/5.0, f/5.6, f/6.3, f/7.1 or f/8.0. The Panasonic, on the other hand only allows you to adjust the aperture to either its largest setting, f/2.8, or its smallest, f/8.0. Therefore, the E900 gives you much greater controll over the aperture than the FX33 does.

So while the aperture range for the lens in your E900 is typical of the genre, the control it gives you over the aperture is quite good. While the maximum aperture of a lensis important, f/2.8 is about as good as you'll find in a P&S. To get anything larger, you'd need to go to a dSLR.