Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 29, 2007, 5:54 PM   #1

Greetings everyone!

I'm just curious what the lovely friendly folk on Steve's digicams prefer? This first photo is the silhouette version of a photo I took recently here in Adelaide, Australia- at Glenelg, a popular beach area just 10 minutes drive from the city centre.

Although it was the end of winter (end of August) we already had some warmer days here.... ahh!! with even some brave souls testing out the water!! Can't wait till summer!

So here is the first (silhouette) version....
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2007, 5:56 PM   #2

.... and here is the second version, in which I managed to extract some detail from the dark (bottom) area using curves and the shadow / highlight tool.

I hope you can all give your best unbiased opinions. As always, any advice / feedback you have is warmly welcomed!

Thanks for looking...

Paul

Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2007, 6:38 PM   #3

Personally I like the silhouette version. But I would crop off some of the black on the bottom. You dont need too much.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:12 PM   #4

You've got to be careful with what happens in post processing.

When I looked at the Shadow Details image, I saw an aura around the trunk of the tree. The following image is a 300% enlargement of the same portion of both photos. Silhouette is on the left, and Shadow Details is on the right. Notice the fringe around the tree trunk in the image on the right.

I think that whatever good you did with the the Shadow/Highlight Tool, you lost because of the way it damaged the transition between the very light sky and the silhouletted tree trunk.

I like the original.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:29 PM   #5

Bynx,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that I could do with a bit less of the bottom / black area.

I appreciate getting your thoughts.

Paul
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:42 PM   #6

TCav,

Also I'm grateful for you looking into this.

You examined it closerly to pick up the detail of the aura around the tree trunk! I commend your attention to detail.

Actually, I didn't have much time when I wanted to upload the photos. And I thought I had noticed there was some detail and strange artifacts in the resized photos. I used ACDSee to do the quick resize. (photoshop takes a while to upload on my slowish computer, so I use ACDSee for quick edits, not for final version).

Now that I look at the originals, I think there must be an issue with the resizes of these photos (maybe in ACDSee too much JPEG compression or something else)... because the originals don't have the same.

Below is a 100% crop of the originals of that part of the truck on the "shadow details" photo... I don't usually use (or view) photos at 100%, in fact 99% of my photos I don't print, I keep and share them in electronic format (only printing for displays or articles in magazines when asked...)

TCav I admit I might have applied some post processing too strong, I was experimenting to see what darker details I could recover and how this made another option for the photo. The 100% crop of the original photo below also shows I might have used a tad too much usm (unsharp mask) too... But it looks allright at full screen size. Thanks again!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:51 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Hi Paul, Original with the crop off of the bottom as Bynx says is definitely the best!!

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:52 AM   #8

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
The 100% crop of the original photo below also shows I might have used a tad too much usm (unsharp mask) too...
More than a judicious application of USM will do exactly what I saw, so that must have been the source of the aura.

Thanks for checking into it.

And I agree with Bynx and Mark about cropping the original, but watch out that particular print size won't crop off too much of the sky. The color gradient of your sky is quite beautiful, and it would be a shame to lose any of it. I'd preserve the original, and just remember that, whatever print size I wanted, just crop off the bottom.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:28 AM   #9

OK, folks thanks for your valued feedback so far.... here seems to be a general consensus ... of a cropped "silhouette version"...

TCav, I don't plan to print this photo, but I'll certainly not want to lose any of that sky in the crop. thanks for your kind, thoughtful input!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 30, 2007, 5:30 PM   #10

To me, thats bang on PJ. Nice job. And thats a good photo. Nice arrangement of people each well defined doing their own things.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote