Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1

This isn't great photography, it's just a quick snap of a street scene. This isn't even the shot I wanted to take. I almost deleted it in-camera because I was disappointed that I couldn't get her face. However, I looked at it on mymonitor and thought that perhaps the picture worked the way it was. What caught my eye was theodd combination- somehow halter tops don't normally go with snowboards.

So does this work as a humorous street scene or is that my wishful thinking?
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:45 AM   #2

Works very well in IMO.:G
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:59 AM   #3

I think a visible face would have distracted from the contrast you were trying to capture.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:33 AM   #4

Thanks - that's the conclusion I came to when I looked at the picture on the monitor. It's sometimes hard for me to look at my own stuff objectively, so I appreciate having some outside opinions.It's funny how so often the picture I think I want to takereally isn't what I'm trying to say/what I saw, or how a picture I think is marginal another person really likes. It's probably one of several things that separate me as an average amateur from a pro - being able to instantly (and correctly) decide how to best capture the elements of a scene that show what caught your eye, so you get it right most of the time. For me it's more of a happt accident when I get it all right.

Thanks again for all of your opinions.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:32 PM   #5

I looked at this a few times, trying to figure out what I thought of it. Probably much like you did.

It strikes me that there are two images here,related only by their proximity. I think it has the effect of being a 'real-life' collage of sorts.

I know that, if it were mine, I wouldn't trash it, but I don't know what I would do with it. Probably keep itin my portfolio, but near the back.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6

I have a folder for "humor, street scenes". It's part of my screen saver at work - and whenever one of them floats by, it brings a smile to my face. I wasn't quite sure what to make of this one (is itreally OK like I thoughtwhen I looked at it on the monitor, or is it trash like I thought when I took it)and it's been bothering me. I really don't have a portfolio, I take pictures to please me and try to learn as much as I can so that I can take better ones. The learning and experimenting part of photography is what I love (I don't have the right mind-set to be a pro). I'm still trying to develop some type of instinct for street scenes (landscape and flowers are what I'm most comfortable with).

Thanks again for letting me know what you think of this one.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:19 AM   #7

I'm not a pro either; I'm a computer consultant. But I have a collection of photos I've taken, that I keep with me when I visit client sites, in case the subject of photography comes up. It's some of my favorites and some of the ones I'm most proud of. If I took this, itwould be among the ones I carry around.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:38 PM   #8

Great shot, could go into the funny foto's forum.....................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:20 PM   #9

The top of the head and the left shoulder for me has too much highlight "blowout". The capture is good, so it is still a keeper for its message and composition.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:31 AM   #10

Your inner self must have seen something in the view because you did snap the picture. I think it is one of those shots that will be one of your favorites years from now. I personally like it.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote