Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:50 AM   #11

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
But, IMO, here the pointis; the escaping point is a bit too large as topush the subject aside.
Good point. bahadir. The frame includes the vanishing point of the row of lightposts. Vanishing points always draw our attention, and this one is drawing our attention out past the subject. And the small depth of field doesn't do enough to stop it.

Perhaps this perspective would help. (benz4matik: This is a more radical form of post processing than is typical of these forums. I hope you don't mind.)And now that the frame is generally darker, I think she looks less like she's headed for a funeral. (I also think it's more 'Rule of Thirds'y.)

(Is Photoshop Elements cool or what!?!?!)
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:36 AM   #12

TCav wrote:
Quote:
bahadir wrote:
Quote:
But, IMO, here the pointis; the escaping point is a bit too large as topush the subject aside.
Good point. bahadir. The frame includes the vanishing point of the row of lightposts. Vanishing points always draw our attention, and this one is drawing our attention out past the subject. And the small depth of field doesn't do enough to stop it.

Perhaps this perspective would help. (benz4matik: This is a more radical form of post processing than is typical of these forums. I hope you don't mind.)And now that the frame is generally darker, I think she looks less like she's headed for a funeral. (I also think it's more 'Rule of Thirds'y.)
Reading your lines I think we've attained something ageeable following Bynx's call above : ) You also introduced the good old rule of the thirds, which is uppermost in our minds like the Democles sword:G andwhich isquite useful too!!

While appreciating your editas well astheidea behind it, I think the subject is blocking thevanishing point, which we call 'escaping point' in Turkish: ). This is why, as you noticed, I had sufficed with merely narrowing it in my edit.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:54 AM   #13

I would just like to say thank you for all the constructive criticism. I must say that your edits are far better than I could have done. My editing capabilities go about as far as contrast adjust and maybe a clone brush in Jasc PSP.

This photo was taken with an old Olympus C2500L with a 1.43 extender. Its an older camera (2.5 mp) but still produces quite stunning shots. I want to upgrade to a Nikon soon (D300 hoping, but so much $$).

I want to learn as much as I can about taking those "perfect" shots that create a sense of awe when looking at them. I love aperture shots. You guys are quite knowledgeable and im sure to be a sponge on here. I cant wait to post more photos.

I've attached the original pic, albeit compressed a bit.

Thanks again for all the input!

Andy

Attached Images

benz4matik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:24 AM   #14

Andy......
The b/w is a good shot, but I really like the color version...Take out the hair on her face on the right side and the one little pimple on her left cheek...Great shot...Freckles rule......
:O
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 2:22 PM   #15

The hands were the first thing that got me as well, it looks like she is defending herself, or getting ready to bop you in the nose! :lol:

It's still a good picture though!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote