Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:47 PM   #1

Just curious how "professional" this photo is. Im an aspiring photographer...

Thanks!
Attached Images

benz4matik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:33 PM   #2

I dont know what you mean by professional but I cant see anything wrong with your shot. I like the composition, the exposure is spot on and your depth of field is excellent. Most important your subject is pleasing to look at. To me the only difference between good professional and good amateur is the amount of money received.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:28 PM   #3

While Bynx makes many excellent points, I find myself staring at the subject's hands, and I honestly have no idea why they should be the center of attention in this photo.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:52 PM   #4

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I don't generally like B&W.

Maybe the color of her hat and the color of her top aren't black, but in this shot, she looks like she just came from a funeral. If she did, then I'm sorry for her loss, but if not, then that's probably not the message you want the photo to have.

Like tclune, I think her hands curiously dominate the image.

The setting is nice, and technically, it's a good photo, but while your girlfriend is quite attractive, as the subject of this photo, she's out of place.

Perhaps it would be better in color.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:51 PM   #5

I dont have a problem with her hands at all. It makes the shot seem spontaneous. She was in the middle of doing something and turned and you shot her. Her arms and hands lead the eye to her face. If her hands were in her lap I think the composition would look kinda empty. As for the funeral look that Tcav sees, I dont know where that comes from unless he just attended one himself. If I had a complaint at all about the shot I wish she didnt have her sunglasses on.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:50 PM   #6

All I'm saying is that she's striking a slightlyodd pose in aslightly inappropriate setting wearing all black. To me, the black hat, sunglasses, dark top, and grim countenancelook more appropriate at a funeral than where she is.

Maybe she's not wearing black. But the B&W conversion makes it look that way.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:03 PM   #7

This dialogue between Tcav and myself in reference to you photo is rather interesting. We both see the same picture but get something different from it. I would like to see other responses from others and what they see when they look at your pic without having read what follows the picture. To me she is playing with her locket thinking of something personal. She is on a boat, alone for a moment with her thoughts. She is interrupted and turns her head where you photograph her. I think its a nice story and a nice shot.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:32 AM   #8

....I like BW and I like this composition. However, I think it needs more contrast and a crop as well as leveling. The image here is rotated cc 2 degrees with contrast and levels raised just a bit and a crop which I believe presents the subject with less distraction. I also did a very quick clone of some areas around the hat.

I really like this photo, especially the B&W presentation, IMO you did well.

boBBrennan

Attached Images

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:03 AM   #9

Lol! The discussion above on hands reminded me the anectoderelated withRodin breaking the hands of the sculpture after hearing a lot of complimentsabout thehands of his work, meanwhile saying that no part ot the work should surpass the whole:!:

The composition with the background offers an escaping point as well,comprising thesweet perspective by the lightposts, ah! almost ina similar fashion with Renaissance paintings : )

But, IMO, here the pointis; the escaping point is a bit too large as topush the subject aside.
Quote:
I would like to see other responses from others and what they see when they look at your pic without having read what follows the picture
Here Bynx is quite right! Actually this B&W image is worthy of discussing

While appreciating boBBrennan's edit, belowI would like to share my take also:

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:19 AM   #10

Is there anon B&W version of this photo? I would love to see those freckles in color.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote