Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:45 PM   #1

We (daughter and I) were watching tv. She was telling me about how her day went at pre-school. She must have been really tired because shefell assleep on the couch in no time. Anyhow, I looked over and I thought it looked cute how she was holding on to her baby doll.

I thought the picture came out pretty good. But then again, I'm not a profesional.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:56 PM   #2

in my opinion it's wonderful photo. Just the knee is superfluous in the composition.

In any case you will always pride by this picture. I'm sure.
Ellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 2:03 PM   #3

Ellos wrote:
Quote:
in my opinion it's wonderful photo. Just the knee is superfluous in the composition.

In any case you will always pride by this picture. I'm sure.
I agree with eerything except the part about the knee not adding anything. The suppleness of children is one of their defining characteristics. If you just crop the photo at the face-with-doll, the age is implied by the doll but not really dramatized in the photo. So the knee adds context, IME.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 2:24 PM   #4

tclunein any case Kaspian could not take the photo without of a knee. Differently he could wake up her. :-}
Ellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:08 AM   #5

Thank you Ellos and Tclune for your comments.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:13 PM   #6

Overall, if is what you wanted then you should be real happy because it has excellent color, lighting, and tonality. I don't know why her shoulder has a double image? at the upper edge -maybe she moved a little?

IMO, I would have included more of the doll and wouldn't have cropped her hair off at the upper left edges. Having the doll visible completes the equation and leaves no need to decipher the "message" of the image. In other words, I didn't know that it was a doll until I read that it was one. I would have pulled back to propose the question of her smallness versus the couch, and to emphasize the element of her holding her doll as a sheild or a companion thus suggesting her vulnerbility. A wider lens would help here, as you can compose all of what you are trying to say but still maintain closeness.
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:18 PM   #7

mopar wrote:
Quote:
Overall, if is what you wanted then you should be real happy because it has excellent color, lighting, and tonality. I don't know why her shoulder has a double image? at the upper edge -maybe she moved a little?

IMO, I would have included more of the doll and wouldn't have cropped her hair off at the upper left edges. Having the doll visible completes the equation and leaves no need to decipher the "message" of the image. In other words, I didn't know that it was a doll until I read that it was one. I would have pulled back to propose the question of her smallness versus the couch, and to emphasize the element of her holding her doll as a sheild or a companion thus suggesting her vulnerbility. A wider lens would help here, as you can compose all of what you are trying to say but still maintain closeness.
Thank you Mopar for your valuable input. I'll look at the original pic again and will try to include more of the doll and "pull" back a little. I think I tried doing that to begin with. However,...........how do I put it..............my daughters' "undies" where showing and I did not want them in the picture, LOL:lol:

I will use your input and see what else I come up with.

Thanks,

Kas
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:21 PM   #8

mopar wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why her shoulder has a double image? at the upper edge -maybe she moved a little?
I think she must've moved. I had plenty of time to get my tripod and set the camera on it. Its not like she was going anywhere.:-)

Kas
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:23 PM   #9

mopar wrote:
Quote:
A wider lens would help here, as you can compose all of what you are trying to say but still maintain closeness.
A different lens would've been out of the question. All I have is a p&s camera I've been thinking about jumping into the DSLR world though.