Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1

So I got my sigma 70-300mm APO DG lens last week and I will be shooting mostly winter action shots with it. Here are 3 from the first day out on the hill. Thanks for C&C.

Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Looks like you are going to be having a lot of fun out there!!!

Shooting in snow is a really difficult environment as with so much white the camera is going to under expose quite a lot. There are a couple of options open to you, either set the camera to over expose by a stop or slightly more. The better option is to use manual exposure but this will mean you have to be a little more brave .

I really like the first shot, good framing and nice action with the snow being thrown up. In the last shot it seems that you are focused on the background rather than the skier. What settings were you shooting with? I would either use all points or centre focus point an of course continuous focus.

Here are a couple of quick edits for exposure, pretty rough but give you an idea. I've also applied some unsharp mask to give a bit more pop.

Look forward to seeing some more in the future.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks Mark! I will have to go back and check what I had the focus on but I beleive it was all points. shot @ 1/1600 f/5.6.

Still learning the new lense and it is tricky getting the texture of the snow while not letting the subject get too dark. I will keep experimenting and posting, thanks for the advice.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Maintaining the snow texture will be really tough with digital, was bad enough with film and that had a wider dynamic range so really you want the skier exposed correctly and go from there. You could be a little conservative so they are slightly underexposed and then adjust curves to lift them without losing so much of the snow. I would personally say that the detail left in my edits is acceptableso would look for something similar.

Hope that all helps.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:27 PM   #5

Definitely helps Mark, when I go out this weekend I will try to focus on the subject more and worry about the snow/background later, more experimenting and shooting is all I can do.

Also which sites do you prefer for photo hosting? I use webshots but I wonder if there are better options for posting/viewing galleries as well as printing quality/service. Thanks again.