Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:08 PM   #1

I saw this gentleman at Paris in Las Vegas .... I liked all of the surrounding activity and his detached appearance. I shot this with ISO 1600 handheld so it isn't too sharp. I did some pp but it didn't compensate for lack of a tripod.

I would appreciate some suggestions regarding composition, exposure etc. for this type of shot.

Thanks,

Drew
Attached Images

drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:19 AM   #2

unless you have like a $700 lense I doubt the little blowouts could be helped
the colour balance perhaps.. give those lights their full 'oomph(?)'

Attached Images

Gerafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:33 PM   #3

Thanks. I wish I had that $700 lens!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:34 AM   #4

This is a toughie but from a personal point of view:
  1. The lighting, you already learned, is off balance and that could be corrected.[/*]
  2. The post just to the gentleman's left detracts from the impact of the shot. I am afraid cropping out the post would not solve that problem. That makes him too close to the edge staring out into nowhere. The only solution here might be to find another gentleman with a post not soclose.[/*]
  3. You are fightingan uphill struggle against the out of fcous quality of the shot.Any sort of character development from his facial expression is just about totally lost.Hyping your ISO to 1600 or higher might give you enough leeway to get a faster shutter speed.[/*]
  4. I sense that you might have been getting at his solitude amidst the glitz of the area. That does come thru a bit.
[/*]
Hope these don't sound too harsh. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:04 PM   #5

In my opinion I would have gone horizontal on this one. Cropped in camera to the middle of the pole at the left and brought far enough to the right to include the people sitting at the tables and the hostess. At the top I would have cropped between the diamond things and the $1 symbols on the slot machine, or cropped to the middle of the round things. The bottom is good to go. I would have also dropped down to my knees and shot the guy's head at camera level.

The idea I would have tried to convey would be the fun and gaming and tasty mixed drinks being brought over by the hostess vs. the guy at the slot machine being tired? losing too much? bored? dejected? etc.....

Colorwise I'm not very technical with computer image tweaking but you could try a greyscale version and see if it looks ok to you?
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:36 PM   #6

Thanks guys! I appreciate your comments .... it's a great way to learn.

Drew