Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:22 PM   #1

Hello, I have posted this shot in the Pentax and Wildlife Photos forum and no one has commented, I thought it was one best yet avian photographs. I shot it in raw, cropped it only slightly and saved for web in PS Elements.
Please be honest in any critique.
Thanks, Rodney
Attached Images

Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:22 AM   #2

Rodney,

Perhaps the clutter of branches partly obscuring the bird detracts from the shot. Since the branches are in the foreground it makes DOF control that more difficult and thus the bird is not the focal point of the shot as much as you perhaps intended.

Cheers and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:58 AM   #3

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
...cropped it only slightly...
Like Selvin, I found the nearby twigs very distracting. It made me feel as if there were something wrong with my eyes; the lack of focus moves it too far from what the eyes of the viewer would have thought theysaw.

Of course we wouldn't necessarily really have seen the twigs any better in focus with our eyes, we just wouldn't have perceived them as out of focus; the brain would have suppressed them and concentrated on the bird.

I prefer the version below, or something similar. Obviously,I'veupsized your downsized image, so it's not very sharp. If you did it the quality would be enormously better, cropped straight from your original.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
I thought it was one best yet avian photographs.
Well then you haven't seen many avain photographs...:roll:

I have seen some very good eagle shots and some very professional hummingbird shots in that forum. Ones where the bird was perfectly sharp and there were no obstructions/distractions in the shots. As well as the shots being full of colour.

This is just some raven or crowthat you can hardly see, sorry - not very interesting.

If you can get one of it in flight then maybe it will look better...
Bigfootpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:14 PM   #5

I must apologise, when I said I thought it was one best yet avian photographs. What I meant to write was that it was one of ' my ' best, I am just a amateur and would never compare my efforts to some of the brilliant photographs here.

I must agree the with overall critique than the branchs take away from the bird, I was going for the natural look rather then all the portraits I seem to do, more practice is always needed.

Thank You Selvin, Alan and Bigfootpete for your comments.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:33 AM   #6

Rodney,

I like the framing.I agree withthe others thebranches are a distraction. But to me the bigger issue is the lack of 'pop' from the bird. It's a combination of softness / lack of detail (for such a close up I would have expected to see more detail) and lack of color depth - i.e. the color is very flat, not vibrant and rich. The exif has been stripped form the image so I can't see what equipment you're using or what settings were used so it's difficult to offer a suggestion as to what might have caused this.

By the way - I am by no means an expert birder - I rarely shoot wildlife. I'm just commenting as a fellow photographer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote