Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:17 PM   #1

Camera - K100D, 18-55mm Kit Lens, Monfrotto Tripod, 5 shots at 1 EV increments from +2 to -2. I tried 3 software applications, but liked this one the best using Photo Impact 12 free trial version. Also tried Photomatix free trial with similar results but the free version puts a watermark in the photos. Also tried my PS CS2, but it will take a lot of experimenting with the curves function to duplicate the results I got from Photo Impact. Suggestions for settings would be appreciated.
Attached Images

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:02 PM   #2

Thats pretty good. No blown out areas and no dark spots. You have the idea. As for settings thats really dependent on each picture. There is no one setup. Photomatix has enough sliders to give you complete control over every single pixel. By the way, I started an HDR thread in the Other Photos. There are examples of my early attempts as well as links to instructions.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:21 PM   #3

Thanks Bynx, I went to your thread in the Other Photos forum. Very interesting and informative. I was up early Saturday and read a few tutorials on HDR and thought I'd give it a try. I'm intrigued how you would go about doing this with a movng subject, even slow moving like the sailboat.

The white balance on my interior shot was a little tricky, there was natural light coming in form the windows, tungsten from the floods over the fireplace, and the bulbs in the table lamps are flourescent.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:58 PM   #4

If you see my shot of Union Station there were people moving back and forth so they were different in each shot. In Photomatix you check a box for movement of people or water ripples. The software does the rest. Its amazing. It deletes some people and keeps others. It did the same with the sailboat. It only kept the one with proper exposure and deleted the rest. Its good too if you are shooting on a windy day and you dont want double vision of tree leaves moving or anything swaying in the wind. It nicely handles moving clouds.

Looking at your HDR pic again it struck me that you have too many lights on with the outside light being so bright. Id like to see the same shot when it was darker outside. It would look more natural instead of contrived for the sake of the photo. Also the same shot but with some of the lights turned off. Try different combinations to see the nicest effects.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote