Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:39 AM   #1

I took this last night as I was walking home from photographing Melbourne's Exhibition Building. Was walking past the lane, saw the chair, and thought it would make an interesting scene.

Canon EOS350D, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, f/8, 1/6 second.

Would welcome any comments, positive or negative, and especially suggestions for improving my technique! (I know the framing is slightly skewed, tripod on cobblestones!)

Thanks,

Paul
Attached Images

Liegroupoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:41 AM   #2

I really like this photo!And I think the skewed framing is kind of neat. My only suggestion would be to maybe crop off a little of the top of the photo...say from slightly above the building with the two posts to the top of the frame, a and maybe just a tad of the ground. I think the blur of the cobblestones kind of distracted me and took my focus away from the chair. I'd also isolate the chair a tad by doing some selective contrasting on the red. Not much, but just a tiny bit. Those are really my only suggestions. It's a wonderful photo with alot of potential.

I just bought a 350D and its nice to see what it can do

Dani
afdani1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:45 AM   #3

i really like this image, it is extremely catchy to me for some reason, now i cant wait to get my 350d!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:29 AM   #4

afdani1984 wrote:
Quote:
I really like this photo!*And I think the skewed framing is kind of neat.* My only suggestion would be to maybe crop off a little of the top of the photo...say from slightly above the building with the two posts to the top of the frame, a and maybe just a tad of the ground.* I think the blur of the cobblestones kind of distracted me and took my focus away from the chair.* I'd also isolate the chair a tad by doing some selective contrasting on the red.* Not much, but just a tiny bit.* Those are really my only suggestions.* It's a wonderful photo with alot of potential.
Thanks Dani for your ideas. I cropped it, and played a little with it in Photoshop, and this is the result... quite a different feel to the original.

Cheers,
Paul
Attached Images

Liegroupoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:46 PM   #5

I never saw the potential of the original, but I like the edited version quite a bit!

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:48 AM   #6

Hi Paul!

(I'm also Paul). Interestingly enough I was in Carlton about 4 weeks ago. In Melbourne for a wedding, stayed at friends near Batman street (I think that is the name).

Some parts of Melbourne remind me of a "small London" (I lived in London for 6 years, have visited Melbourne several times over the past 18 years). This is one such shot.

The 2nd photo definitely brings out the potential / focus of the chair better. 2nd photo is more powerful imho than the first.

Regards

Paul (Tasmania born, resided in Transylvania for some years too.. now livin' in Adelaide)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote