Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:59 PM   #1

I posted one other topic in this forum with no response (maybe it was the subject matter, not sure) but I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong when I take photographs. I have looked at many photo's on this site and others and my photo's seem to lack "snap"....I'm not sure if that's the correct wording..forgive me.

I took this one today while I was on the Eastern Shore of Virginia mid-day.

Shutter priority, 1/200 sec shutter speed, ISO-200, f/16, 104mm focal length.

Is it a lighting problem, a camera setting problem etc. I know practice makes perfect but Iwould likesuggestions.

Thank you for any input.

Duane

3RDI Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:12 PM   #2

I'll tell you what I see for what it's worth. First, the photo looks over-exposed to me. The white on the boat has lost all detail. Second, the contrast seems a little low. But if you give the contrast a little bump, it won't help the blown areas. Third, the saturation could use a little bump too. Fourth, a tighter crop would help - the trees in the bg don't really add to the shot
Another problem is that you took this shot with the sun too high and too bright. Shooting early or late in the day generally gives much more pleasing light, both in intensity and color. Shooting when the sun goes behind clouds might work too.
I hope this helps....
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:31 PM   #3

Thank you for your input....it is much appreciated.

If I increased the shutter speed or raised the ISO would I be able to compensate the natural light entering? The reason I ask is most of the time when I take photographs it's a "spur of the moment" thing and most of the time I can't wait or return in the morning or evening.

This is the original photo before It was "tweaked" in PS.

Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:02 PM   #4

Here is my version of the tweaking.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:47 PM   #5

OK...I went back today to try it again. It was overcast so I did not accomplish what I went after which is shooting in bright sunlight and getting better results. I also shot many of them in RAW format and this is one of them that I converted. Better? I think so and I am now a fan of shooting in RAW.

Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:56 PM   #6

One of the things I found very distracting in your first picture was the out of focus foreground reeds. Your second attempt is much better , I don't feel like I want to grab my weedwacker. I also like the color better in it as well as the framing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:01 AM   #7

I agree that the second attempt is much better. The colours of the grass are much better, the wood looks a bit richer. The lighting makes a big difference. Ultimately, as photography is literally "writing with light", the lighting conditions are crucial to giving the picture the snap you are looking for. If you look at the pictures you like on the various sites, I suspect you will find that it is the colours and tones that make it for you.

At the same time, I certainly agree with you when you say you want to be able to take better pictures during the middle of the day as one often does not have the luxury of waiting or returning for that perfect light.

Several options - first different types of photography. If the lighting is a bit harsher and therefor not what will make the impact, you have to look for subjects that make the impact. Perhaps take pictures of the details of the boat - closeup of the weathered wood and so on. It is the landscape/setting that looses the most in the midday light - it just looks dull.

Another thing is to use the contrast - try converting midday shots into black and white - you can play around with the contrast to give the picture some impact - not as easy doing it in colour as the results often look artificial.

Last comment re why the second picture is better - the treeline was cropped out, either in camera or later. In the first one, I didn't think it added anything and made it look more like a spur of the moment shot. The second feels more composed in that regard.

Still like the original thought - not so much that the boat is abandoned, but that it is floating in a field.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:57 AM   #8

I guess its just me but I prefer the first shot composition. The far trees, the sea of grass and the old boat tell a story of time and never having reached the destination (the trees which represent the far land). But the out of focus reeds in that picture certainly didnt do anything for it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:06 AM   #9

Thank you all for the positive feedback...it is most appreciated. This is how I learn even though I have different opinions on what the picture means or what it is implying. I saw the boat while shooting some shore birds and liked the weathered look of it and how it was just sitting there waiting for the tide to come in (it's moured to a pole near a tidal creek in the marsh).
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:57 AM   #10

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I guess its just me but I prefer the first shot composition. The far trees, the sea of grass and the old boat tell a story of time and never having reached the destination (the trees which represent the far land). But the out of focus reeds in that picture certainly didnt do anything for it.
No, it's not just you. I was going to say precisely the same thing before reading your post.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote