Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:06 AM   #11

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Why black & white? If it's rusty, I'd like to see the rust. I wouldn't know it was rusty unless you'd told me.

Now that I know it's rusty, I can imagine two old people long gone, sitting on it in the sunshine years ago, smiling to each other. Many pictures have a story to tell, real or imaginary, and colour adds to the story-telling potential. I like it a lot more now that I've used my imagination, helped by the explanation.

In colour, this would have been a worthy contributor to the 'Biweekly shootout' on 'Graceful dilapidation' in October. See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=811441and other similar posts in that forum.

Another way to present the same subject, if it were possible given the surroundings, would be to choose a more dramatic angle, to make a striking design out of its strange shape. The shot is indeed a bit cluttered, because the swing isn't sufficiently isolated.
Alan..

Thanks for seeing the potential in this pic. But sadly the original pic in colour is no where as rusty to qualify for the "Graceful dilapidation" category.. hehehe..

the reason B&W was selected for this subject was I thought it would make it look nostalgic (which sadly failed to do so).

by the way.. just by looking at the pic, can you explain what you mean by choosing a more dramatic angle.

anyway thanks again.

hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:16 AM   #12

I think you receiveda good deal of feedback above whichis asvaluable as gold : )

I too would suggest a shallow depth of field, about whichyou seem to have done just the opposite selecting an aperture of f/16!! I'd also suggest a sepia versionto evoke more of the nostalgic look you speak of...For me,a dramatic angle is like arranging a bunch of flowers: ))which willtake some further shots untill you find the right one!

Anyway, below is avery quick sketch, at least, to give an idea how a shallow DOF + sepia wouldlook.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 6:15 AM   #13

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
I think you receiveda good deal of feedback above whichis asvaluable as gold : )

I too would suggest a shallow depth of field, about whichyou seem to have done just the opposite selecting an aperture of f/16!! I'd also suggest a sepia versionto evoke more of the nostalgic look you speak of...For me,a dramatic angle is like arranging a bunch of flowers: ))which willtake some further shots untill you find the right one!

Anyway, below is avery quick sketch, at least, to give an idea how a shallow DOF + sepia wouldlook.
Thanks for the sample..

Yes i've received lots of valuable feedback from al the kind people here at steves...

It's been really a pleasure to be involved in such an active, highly detailed but yet very constructive forum here on steves...

I've really been learning a lot from you guys here...

Once again thanks a lot...
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 6:09 PM   #14

this is very nice shot
jolly 007 is offline   Reply With Quote