Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:08 AM   #1

I took this pic at my aunt's home...

It's an old swing rusting all over that I thought it could make a nice B&W subject.

C&C most welcome as I'm trying to improve myself.

Thanks
Attached Images

hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:07 AM   #2

Good shot, I like all the contrasting lines and the way you frame the picture.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 1:08 PM   #3

Just want to ask about this pic.

Hopefully someone with experience can give me some comments.

I've posted this pics on a local forum in my country.

But all the comments I got was it's too cluttered, messy,... and so on.. (all negative comments) and not one comment to help me improve.

So this are a few of my questions.

1. Is the pic really that bad? (messy / clurttered..etc)

2. Is the presention in B&W not suitable with the subject?

People in my local forum always seem to give negative comments or -ve critisize junior / beginner photogs - some of which who's pictures are really damm great (not me) while always praising to the moon certain pros / experts who just post pics for example of a rubbish bin or a subject with similar cluttered / messy BG and no significant meaning. So it's really hard to get honest C&C to really learn.

which brings me to the question...

3. As a photog,shouldn't we try to deliver images as "true to life" as possible. (example a situation in the field even though however messy it is). Yeah if we can help it we should choose a cleaner BG environment or even blurring th BG ..but to the extend of moving the potted plants or sweeping the floor (a person actually gave me this comment in my local forum about this pic) wouldn't the scene be considered staged (no more true lfe environment)

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway hope the good people at steves forum (lots of international members here) can give me a truly honest C&C as I really am trying hard to learn my stuff.

I accept whatever criticism there is as long as it's honest so that will asssist in my learning curve..

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2007, 5:13 PM   #4

Before reading this, know that all of it is said in the spirit of constructive criticism.

This image has no area of interest. The entire frame is filled withg the same thing: a bunch of messy, confusing lines. There is nowhere for the eye to rest. There is no subject. Also, it suffers from 'centritis', meaning that your subject is painfully centered. It looks like an auction listing, that is, if anyone would be interested in this heap. As for B&W of color, I don't think it matters much. Perhaps if the thing was bright, burnt orange with decay and the house was a cool blue, it may have been a bit better, but with no composition, it's still a bad shot.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:34 AM   #5
JLB

I too like to get constructive feedback from my posts. I think the image is a little busy and perhaps a shallow depth of field, focused on the nearest portion of the swing would allow a little seperation from the house in the background. It is a good subject for B&W and the conversion looks good.
John
JLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:05 AM   #6

the pic is cropped a little too tightly for my taste - and the dark border (a burn in?) makes the pic even more tightly cropped. i think a little more space around the swing would help - perhaps blurred, pehaps not.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:52 PM   #7

Why black & white? If it's rusty, I'd like to see the rust. I wouldn't know it was rusty unless you'd told me.

Now that I know it's rusty, I can imagine two old people long gone, sitting on it in the sunshine years ago, smiling to each other. Many pictures have a story to tell, real or imaginary, and colour adds to the story-telling potential. I like it a lot more now that I've used my imagination, helped by the explanation.

In colour, this would have been a worthy contributor to the 'Biweekly shootout' on 'Graceful dilapidation' in October. See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=811441and other similar posts in that forum.

Another way to present the same subject, if it were possible given the surroundings, would be to choose a more dramatic angle, to make a striking design out of its strange shape. The shot is indeed a bit cluttered, because the swing isn't sufficiently isolated.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:50 AM   #8

David French wrote:
Quote:
Before reading this, know that all of it is said in the spirit of constructive criticism.

This image has no area of interest. The entire frame is filled withg the same thing: a bunch of messy, confusing lines. There is nowhere for the eye to rest. There is no subject. Also, it suffers from 'centritis', meaning that your subject is painfully centered. It looks like an auction listing, that is, if anyone would be interested in this heap. As for B&W of color, I don't think it matters much. Perhaps if the thing was bright, burnt orange with decay and the house was a cool blue, it may have been a bit better, but with no composition, it's still a bad shot.
don't worry.. i'm very open to constructive criticism..

to me it's better to read what you have said with it's explaination compared to many others in different forums saying the "pic is bad"but do not leave any reason or suggestions. your explination makes it easier to learn.

what you have said, i'm making notes about it and hope when the opportunity comes again, i'll try to avoid the mistakes made here.

thanks

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:51 AM   #9

JLB wrote:
Quote:
I too like to get constructive feedback from my posts. I think the image is a little busy and perhaps a shallow depth of field, focused on the nearest portion of the swing would allow a little seperation from the house in the background. It is a good subject for B&W and the conversion looks good.
John
thanks john for the suggestions. will try to improve when i get the chance to re shoot this subject. maybe going to the same location in a months time.

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:54 AM   #10

pcake wrote:
Quote:
the pic is cropped a little too tightly for my taste - and the dark border (a burn in?) makes the pic even more tightly cropped. i think a little more space around the swing would help - perhaps blurred, pehaps not.
i'll try your ideas soon.

yes the borders were "burned in" thought it would make the pic look nostalgic. guess i was wrong there.

thanks for the comments.