Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:45 PM   #11

hercules71185 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not "dissing your pics in any way" But, for my knowledge too. How to you get a better focus? What makes some of my shots come out like these and some come out so clear you can see the hairs of the flowers? is it the f stop?
i'm not really sure myself. if i'm not mistaken the f/stop is for the DOF...(clear focused subject blurred background)

If just talking solely on focus, i would think is to reduce camera shake or subject shake/movements. I for one try to use a tripod whenever possibly.

any other experts in macro can give a clearer explaination for us here?
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:06 AM   #12

hercules71185 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not "dissing your pics in any way" But, for my knowledge too. How to you get a better focus? What makes some of my shots come out like these and some come out so clear you can see the hairs of the flowers? is it the f stop?
Were the shots you were pleased with shot in bright sunlight? While those that didnt turn out so well were shot with artificial light or cloudy days? The amount of sunlight really affects your camera settings. The brigher sun closes everything down so you can shoot faster or with more DOF. You have way more control than on a dull day or with artificial light which can force you to have almost no DOF or faster speed preventing motion blur.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:45 AM   #13

Your 2nd shoot is much improved. The wind must have stopped blowing. Your selective focus looks well planned. I would also like to give a suggestion if I may....

I will use Pic 1 as an example. It's a nice composition but the out of focus object (flower?) on the right distracts the eye from the main subject. If you would like to try an experiment, take that image into Photoshop and clone out the unfocused object and compare the two images to see what I mean.

I have enjoyed your images...keep it up!! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 7:19 AM   #14

StitchBabe wrote:
Quote:
Your 2nd shoot is much improved. The wind must have stopped blowing. Your selective focus looks well planned. I would also like to give a suggestion if I may....

I will use Pic 1 as an example. It's a nice composition but the out of focus object (flower?) on the right distracts the eye from the main subject. If you would like to try an experiment, take that image into Photoshop and clone out the unfocused object and compare the two images to see what I mean.

I have enjoyed your images...keep it up!! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~
Thanks for the compliment and the suggestions...

No the wind didn't stop blowing when I took those shots... I used my body to partially block the wind while shooting... You can imagine how hard it was as I had to look for a suitable angle too...:G

by the way... does anybody know how far can a person go by shooting macro photography? just asking...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:49 AM   #15

Quote:
by the way... does anybody know how far can a person go by shooting macro photography? just asking...
anyone with any idea?