Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:08 AM   #1

Does this work for you? In the winter I long for the summer. This shows the shocking difference.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:15 AM   #2

Bynx,

I really like the concept of showing the stark difference between winter and summer here. The shading and light in the summer view is nice. I really like the Christmas lights and snow on the winter side.

However, with the darkness of winter on the right, it does not contrast enough with the summer half. Just my 2 cents worth

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:25 PM   #3

Hi Mugmar. When you say the darkness of winter doesnt contrast enough with the summer half Im not sure what you mean by that? Could you explain further. This is only a work in progress and Im looking for any advice.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:55 PM   #4

I think maybe he means the snow isn't obvious enough.If you could twiddle it to be more obvious in the darkness it would be better to my eye. Brighten the foreground? You're the twiddling expert round here!

I love the idea. Please keep on milking the split frames. How about a 'riches & poverty' one? It might be tricky to find them next to each other.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:10 PM   #5

A really good idea, nicely done....................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:56 PM   #6

AlanT hit the nail on the head. The snow just does not quite show up enough. Next time you have enough snow maybe try shooting right at dawn or dusk before it is totally dark.

Still love the idea.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:07 PM   #7

I very much agreed with Alan about the snow, so I had a go at it. I made the summer half more contrasty too to try to catch the brilliant glare of summer light.

Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:26 PM   #8

I actually did quite a bit of fiddling with this pic already Alan. The summer shot was taken from a different spot than I shot last nite. I positioned myself so the two lites on the front porch were centered. I didnt have this concern when I shot the summer pic in bright sunlight. So matching up the house lines was pretty time consuming relatively speaking. I also wanted to show another difference -- between day and night. Night shots with the Christmas lites is what I think is best for winter shots. Summer has the bright sun shining. One is hot the other cold and its always colder in the night. The winter shot was done around 6:30 pm and it was quite dark outside. The longest exposure was 4 seconds. There was plenty of snow both on the shrubs and the roof to show its definately winter. I didnt want a hardline separating the two but a gradual blending. I appreciate all your inputs and will be putting those recommendations in the next makeover of that picture. Thanks all.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:00 PM   #9

Nice work, like the idea of it all as the picture plays with your mind while viewing. Just think that the line between the two pictures could be softer, fading from one season to the other a bit more gently.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:47 AM   #10

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
...next makeover of that picture. Thanks all.
You've done a characteristically good job here by demonstrating what this particular forum is for! Keep 'em coming.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote