Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:10 PM   #1

I took this photo for an assignment.

I admit that I cheated on this photo. I don't have the patience, or the superhuman speed, to aim the camera on a leaf as it's falling, so I took the easy way out and used some invisible thread to hold up a leaf. Even with that cop-out, I still needed patience for the wind to die down; it was just like phorographing macros of flowers! It took me many takes to find the right shot, and I'm still not happy with what I got.

I'm also not sure why there's so much noise. I took this photo at 1/500s @ f/1.4 and ISO 400.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:36 PM   #2

Since you had control over the leaf -- the fixed position of it relative to your hand -- you should have made the separation of the two more clear. As it is it looks like you are balancing the leaf instead of catching it. Also there is no reason to be catching it. Getting a shot of a falling leaf would have been a good shot all in itself. Your fishing line shot does open the doors to new ideas for me. I used to build model planes then suspend them from fishing line and shoot them against the sky background. Some I cant tell from the real thing.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:59 PM   #3

Duly noted, Bynx. It does seem somewhat silly catching a leaf. Perhaps a feather would be more appropriate to catch. I have a similar photo I took to test the concept out, and it does have a better separation to really capture the falling look. It's also significantly simpler in composition.

Now I'm not sure which one I like more...

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:05 PM   #4

Without a doubt the second pic is much better. The leaf looks like its falling and not balancing on your hand although it looks like a studio shot rather than a natural occurence outside like your first shot. If you could put the first shot background into your second shot then you would have a winner for sure.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 6:21 AM   #5

Second one is definitely awesome... It has a much more clean look, colour is nice, maybe more dof but currently it does place nice emphasis on the leaf imo. don't care much for the border myself, is it specifically for the net? but otherwise that's a photo I would get framed!
if you're into bw and haven't already try 90% green, 10% red conversion
ty for sharing !
Gerafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:15 PM   #6

Like the second one, though a different background mayopen a whole new world to the shot.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote