Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:31 AM   #1

Hi all,

Just went around Sydney recently and took pics of the best xmas lights here.

Need advice or suggestions on improving the quality of the pics. I feel some shots are not very good, so some help from the experts here would be great.

Too many to post here so I'll just link it (http://www.jaykobe.com/xmas_2007/index.html)

jaykobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2

your link went 404
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3

you're right, for some reason the link included the last bracket

here's the link again:

http://www.jaykobe.com/xmas_2007/index.html

sorry peeps!
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4

Jakob, I'm amazed by the variety of the picturesdue tothe button enabling to see more of the house with various scenesranging frombiblical such as nativityto since fiction depicting the UFOs! The citizens of the town seem to have prepared for some competition : )I also felthappy on behalfofa generous fellowman of mine from Anatolia (Santa Claus aka Santa Nicholas) :lol:Ah, as for photograpy I could onlyindicate my favouritesconsidering thevariety I mentioned above!! But in general I could say Idid not feel boredobservingeach ofthe images
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:29 PM   #5

thanks bahadir

most of the houses in the pics did enter a xmas lights competition here in Sydney.

When seen live, the xmas lights are fantastic but some of my photos don't do justice i think
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:37 PM   #6

Enjoyed your Christmas pictures and the way you had them set up for viewing was really neat. Have no suggestion for improvements on your pictures, taking long exposures is not a strong point of mine.

If the Christmas lights are still on tonight I'm going to try some shots tonight, now that the high winds have stopped.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7

jaykobe wrote:
Quote:
thanks bahadir

most of the houses in the pics did enter a xmas lights competition here in Sydney.

When seen live, the xmas lights are fantastic but some of my photos don't do justice i think
Oh, they say theimages onlyincrease the pain ofbeing unable to attain the real thing, though they were intendedto relieve it :-)

Well, your pictures, IMO, really give a good account of the festive moodthere!! In some instances I see you'veevenviolated the limits of photography for the ends ; )

http://www.jaykobe.com/xmas_2007/prestons_001q.html

I also wonder if you bothered carrying a tripod with you all the time or just relied on some SR feature or high iso+ steady hand + a good noise removal software

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 4:44 PM   #8

I really like the photos. Interesting. I was thinking about doing the same... but the tough thing is it has been snowing non-stop here... so it's been hard to get out and get photos.

wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:34 PM   #9

i did use a tripod most of the time, although some shots i also did handheld with iso400 or iso 800 and f/2.8