Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:57 PM   #1

Looking East, please critique. I am still learning to master my first D-slr and having a blast doing so.

Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2007, 5:55 AM   #2

As withmixed light situations, snow is also notorious for foolingthe auto white balance of digital cameras, which might require manual or pre set white balance setting, or some post processing at Photoshop. If you do not want to bother with white balance setting at the time of shootingjust shoot raw with auto WB and you can adjustit later while converting into jpeg!

As with composition,if you used the snowy part as foreground it is a bit too much as to distract from the whole, IMO!I'd suggest youtry cropping off from the bottom until you have a complete triangular foreground (which I left to you)...

These are the kinds of pictures I really like a lot as an oldmountaineer and now a mild hiker : ) SoI'd like to see further, ah, in bigger size and with exif please ; )

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:42 AM   #3

I'm agree with Bahadir that color cast is too high in this photo. Personally I like that snow have some blueish color casts(in particular situations) as it gives feeling of the winter. But in your case I would make it a bit more white but not so much as on Bahadir's example, as IMHO it wouldn't balance well with blue morning sky

Regarding cropping I would try cutting bottom part as it drag attention from distant view, check my example.
Attached Images

sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have been shooting in RAW to mess around with the white balance when converting to jpeg but i still have a lot to learn obviously. Snow is a big theme in a lot of the pictures I like to take so I will be doing a lot of experimenting until I get it right.
Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote