Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:12 PM   #1

My first picture post with my S5 IS
Attached Images

B ig Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:54 PM   #2

hi Big Wes,
Don't want to be rude but if say frankly I don't like it for several reasons. But I'd like try to help you, so will post what exactly I don't like so you may possible work on this:
1. guess you shoot under artificial lighting and your camera doesn't properly set white balance, in such cases it's better to set it manually, if it's too late you can correct it in applications like GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/. On your image colors look pale and unnatural, I've attached edited image as example how it could be corrected.
2. Stickers on fruits look a bit annoying, I believe they are not necessary on this picture.
3. Background distracting eyes from the front plane, I would either fill all picture with the fruits or try to achieve background to be completely black or have other constant color. But I think that filling frame with fruits would work better especially than one fruit(apparently lime) is already reaching top of picture.
4. Placement of fruits doesn't create food for the mind, I also think that you pick too much fruits for the photo. I would advice trying to remove banana and hurma(maybe it's called differently in English but it's fruit in center of the frame) and make photo of citruses only.

Hope it helps.
Attached Images

sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:49 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. I resized the picture and by doing so, the color quality seemed to have degraded some. The original picture seems much more vibrant than the one Iposted. Lots of peoplecommented on how clear and crisp the original picture is.

As far as the labels/stickers on the fruit, I agree they should have been removed, but I was at a neighbors home and I don't think she would have appreciated me fingering all of her fruit.

I just downloaded GIMP yesturday and as of yet, I'm not very familiar with the process.

Again thanks,

Wes
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:55 PM   #4

my pleasure
Quote:
As far as the labels/stickers on the fruit, I agree they should have been removed, but I was at a neighbors home and I don't think she would have appreciated me fingering all of her fruit.
Indeed, I don't think that many neighbor would like that guests would feel like in own home

Quote:
I just downloaded GIMP yesturday and as of yet, I'm not very familiar with the process.
if you need some help with it, feel free to contact me. Will try to help if I can.

Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:56 AM   #5

sensovision wrote:
Quote:
my pleasure
Quote:
Indeed, I don't think that many neighbor would like that guests would feel like in own home
Fortunately there's the 'clone tool' in Photoshop for such for such cross border conditions (see below) :-)

I shoud saysensorvision hasgiven very good tips as well as healing the obvious under exposure issueoverone step in hisedit

Btw, surprising to hear that they also callkaki fruit hurma here,which, in fact, means 'date' in English!Yummy : )
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 5:57 AM   #6

I don't have photoshop yet. I know it's a great tool something I need to look into.

Quote:
Btw, surprising to hear that they also callkaki fruit hurma here,which, in fact, means 'date' in English!Yummy : )

Here in the USA that particular fruit is known as a Persimmon, very bitter until the frost gets to them.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 8:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Fortunately there's the 'clone tool' in Photoshop for such for such cross border conditions (see below) :-)
Similar tool exist in GIMP also but I didn't used it, since I have philosophy that resulting photo shouldn't be heavy Photoshopped and when I have some objects which shouldn't be in frame and couldn't be cropped I usually trash the photo instead of trying to retouch it.
PS that doesn't mean that I don't like compositions done from several photographs or other works which directly tell what they are. like this one: http://www.tamurilart.com/art-exhibit/misc/pegasus.htm

Quote:
Btw, surprising to hear that they also call kaki fruit hurma here, which, in fact, means 'date' in English! Yummy :
Thanks for info, Bahadir, we live close to you and some people here speak Turkish but I never knew what the name of this fruit mean

B ig Wes wrote:
Quote:
I don't have photoshop yet. I know it's a great tool something I need to look into.
Actually if you're going to edit photos mostly than there is no reason to invest in PhotoShop at least right from beginning, GIMP is very powerful tool also and perfectly suit for photo retouch. BTW since you didn't used PhotoShop before you'll not have trouble of users switching from PS and have hard times accommodating to new menus of GIMP.

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:46 AM   #8

sensovision wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Similar tool exist in GIMP also but I didn't used it, since I have philosophy that resulting photo shouldn't be heavy Photoshopped and when I have some objects which shouldn't be in frame and couldn't be cropped I usually trash the photo instead of trying to retouch it.
PS that doesn't mean that I don't like compositions done from several photographs or other works which directly tell what they are. like this one: http://www.tamurilart.com/art-exhibit/misc/pegasus.htm
But would't it be likeburning the whole blanket for one flea for some occasions??:GI'd only trash a picture if it looks heavily photoshopped after the retouch.Otherwise, I'd be even more conservative.For ex: I wouldn't add an extra cloud to the sky because it looks more appealing ; )
Quote:
Thanks for info, Bahadir, we live close to you and some people here speak Turkish but I never knew what the name of this fruit mean
Oh, my pleasure! There are also many people from Ukraine here : )

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
But would't it be likeburning the whole blanket for one flea for some occasions??:GI'd only trash a picture if it looks heavily photoshopped after the retouch.Otherwise, I'd be even more conservative.For ex: I wouldn't add an extra cloud to the sky because it looks more appealing ; )
maybe you're right about this and photo shouldn't be trashed because of some things aren't looking good, but some of my habits seems to be really addicting. I just wish that picture would be good from beginning, the only thing I currently doesn't mind to correct are color balance.

Quote:
Oh, my pleasure! There are also many people from Ukraine here : )
I didn't have time to attend these forums for a long time so didn't know this, will keep my eyes open, thanks