Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:00 AM   #1

I just have Panasonic DMC fz50, really love this camera, but there's a one thing I should ask about the distortion of this camera.

Is this acceptable?
Attached Images

ofixmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:02 AM   #2

and this one...
Attached Images

ofixmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:30 PM   #3

Your question is probably best served on the Panasonic forum of this site, but I'll try to help. I have a FZ30 and when the lens is all the way out at say 420mm, distortion is the name of the game. The pics will sort of look like you were looking through one of those viewing things on your front door. It's the way it is with my Lumix. Is it too much? well that depends on what you are after. If you are going to publish those shots in an architectural magazine then no, these won"t do. But for any other non- critical use they could be alright.
In my film days shots of buildings were mostly done with a view camera. the reason is that you can shift the lens plane and focal plane out of parallel with each other thus comping for the problem of shooting a long, straight, tall, building from the ground floor.
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:57 AM   #4

I would say the distortion in the grand of a view is a bit much, but you could tweek that in photoshop.
lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:53 PM   #5

Converging lines is normal here. If you wanted less to no distortion then the use of a tilt-shift lens is on order. That is not available for a prosumer type camera as your FZ50 but you could use CS(2,3) or DXO optics to correct this.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote